33. Securing the Realm

I look at my reflection in the window, just barely able to see myself in it

I look at my reflection in the window, just barely able to see myself in it. I think back to the inn where I had done much the same thing. The scene is much different here though. It is not snowing. No, it is a beautiful sunny day, not too warm and not too cold. The leaves had just started to change color here, telling the realm that it's winter was bound to come.

Our winters are nothing like they had been in the Mountain Realm. No, the blizzards and the endless amount of snow that fell throughout the Mountain Realm were not what we had here in the South. I take a deep breath as Lady Wren continues to thread baby's breath throughout my hair.

"Thank you for asking the king to bring me back into your service."

"I do not know how many times you are going to say that." I laugh as I turn toward her. "But I could never have another lady, you have been one of my closest friends, Wren. The closest friend to me besides..." I do not finish that, not being able to.

"Let us not bring that up on such a joyous day for our realm." She grabs ahold of my hands and gives them a reassuring squeeze. "You are giving everyone the hope they need by doing this, Pere." She lets go of me and then continues working my hair for another moment. "There. I am finished. You look absolutely lovely." She grabs ahold of both of my arms and turns me toward her. Her eyes are full of appreciation as she looks over me. "You are a vision. How are you feeling about today?"

"A bit nauseous, if I am honest, and nervous." Her face turns sympathetic. "The king has told me Timber is not going to be here so I suppose that I have some sort of solace knowing that." Knowing he won't be watching me wed another creature as he sits next to his mate.

"You have not talked about what happened after you left that night." She looks at me uneasily. "Were you harmed while you were away?"

I furrow my brow at her in question. "Harmed?" 

"The king did not force himself on you, did he?"

"What? No, of course he did not."

"Sorry, it is not my place to ask such things." She pulls away from me and begins fluttering about.

"Wren." I grab ahold of her shoulder. "Thank you for caring about such things but no, King Raven would never force himself on me. It is not in his nature to do such things." At least I did not believe it to be after getting to know him the way I have.

"It is just that I have seen him slip in here at night and often wonder if you are alright." I feel a hotness against the apples of my cheeks thinking about the things he and I have been doing. "Oh, so you are more than alright then?"

"Indeed I am." She raises her eyebrows in surprise. "I know it may seem odd now because I had been so unsure about King Raven but he is sweet and kind. He is a caring king." She sprays me with a bit of floral fragrance.