49. Relinquishing Control

The amount of times I had to hear Queen Alaska talk about her pregnancy over the duration off our dinner had left me nauseated

The amount of times I had to hear Queen Alaska talk about her pregnancy over the duration off our dinner had left me nauseated. I pushed around my food, pretending to eat because I could not stomach a single bite of it. Not hearing her talk about that especially. I continually grabbed my own abdomen, wondering if I would end up having Timber's heir along with her.

He had given her a soft smile every now and again but I could tell they were not genuine. I was not exactly sure why that was. She would be having his natural heirs soon enough. Well, at least now he would be have one heir that was all his, not a hybrid. Alaska would deliver their child in no time and as Timber had said, he would spend the time tending to his own child because he could not do so for the ones in this realm.

I let out a sigh as I run the brush through my hair, going over what had transpired during our dinner over and over again in my head. Seeing the two of them together, how perfect and right they looked with one another, was just a reminder of how he and I did not belong together. Not like I needed another reminder of that though. It has been pounded into my skull since childbirth who I was and what I was intended to be.

I hear one of the babies begin to stir in their bassinet and I go over. Of course it is Grey. Our son who shares Timber's hair and as he grows I am starting to see some of his features developing as well. He is his heir and it makes tears prick in my eyes thinking how Grey will never know the entirety of it. Not until Raven and Timber meet with the kings of the other realms, at least.

"What do you want, my small prince? Hmm?" I pick him up and cradle him to me affectionately. "Why are you are fussy, my son? You have been fed. You have been changed. You are warm and wrapped in the softest blanket." He lets out an unhappy noise regardless. "Are you as discontent as I am, then?"

"And why are you so discontent?" King Raven's voice asked and I had not even realized he had entered the room.

"Why because of Alaska, of course." I do not say exactly why Alaska is bothering me though, the reasoning behind it. I bounce around with Grey a bit, making him slowly fall back to sleep in my arms. "I swear in the time that I was gone he has grown exponentially. I feel like I have missed a month, not a week."

"That is because he has grown a lot. He grows like a creature of the land. A bit faster and he is sturdier than Aplomado. Aplo grows more tall and lithe, like me, he will fill out in time. He will most certainly be a creature of the sky but Grey—" His features look apprehensive. "Grey will not be."

"I have known Grey is going to be a creature of the land for a while now." His brow furrows in confusion. "I have never said anything because I did not want to upset you, Raven. I know how you so wanted both of our boys to be sky creatures but the truth of the matter is that Grey is not. Grey will be a land creature and I do not know what to do about that."

He takes a few steps closer to me, until he is right in front of me. "We will figure it, Peregrine." He swipes a stray strand of hair behind my ear and it is enough to make my eyes water. "Why do you look such a way? Your eyes are filled with tears."