52. The Betrayal of the Realms

About a half hour after Timber had left our chamber he busted back in the room

About a half hour after Timber had left our chamber he busted back in the room. He had looked more scared and angry than I think I had ever seen him. He had stated how Alaska knew something was not right. She did not know what that thing was but something was not right and she was certain.

Timber had said Alaska scented something odd on his skin. It was similar to something she had smelled on Lady Wren. An odd mixture she was certain that he was apart of. He said he had tried to put her in her place but who knew how long it would be until she followed her nose to that particular scent that was bothering her. He knew she would.

Timber was adamant that either Alaska or the children had to go immediately. Clearly kicking her and Timber out of the castle was not an option, especially considering Alaska could possibly be pregnant. He had promised that she was not but I still was not convinced. Even if she was not she had told everyone she was. How would we look as a realm kicking out a pregnant royal?

At the end of it all, it did not matter what Timber or I thought, Raven wanted to bring the children to the lodge. He is fiercely protective of his sons and he would not allow her to be anywhere near them now. He told Lord Heron that he was taking Timber out for a scout and possible hunt in the nearby woods. Lady Wren was the only creature allowed to take care for me as the children had fallen slightly ill. It was a lie, but it had to be told to keep them safe.

It was all so overwhelming to think about but watching Timber play with our children made it a bit easier. As he is now, currently play wrestling on the floor with both Aplomado and Grey.

"Come here, my little prince." He grabs Aplomado and tosses him up in the air. "You are a beautiful little creature." He nuzzles his nose before tossing him up again. "You remind me of your mother." He lets out an oomph noise as Grey tackles his tummy. "Tough boy, come join the fun."

"He is good with them." Raven stated, neither here nor there about it, leaving all emotion out of his tone. "He really does love them both." It was like that fact was surprising for King Raven but the two of them were more alike than they would care to admit. Both of them loved their sons fiercely. Raven was just the one who was able to see them more because he was their supposed father. Timber's staying away was only to protect them.

"Raven," he looks away from the sight before him of Timber and our children, "you are mistaken to think he would not be a good father. He loves them very much. He wants to be there for them as much as you are but we all understand, or at least we should, that he is not able to be. He wants his own children but he and Alaska have not been able to become pregnant, as you know. The boys are all he has."

"Well, the boys and..." he places a firm hand on my abdomen giving me a resigned smile. "I have decided that he is welcome in the realm whenever he pleases, maybe a set time each month, for him to stay here with the boys." I bring my hand to my mouth, cupping it as happy tears fill my eyes.