34. Things That Cannot Be

The day had gone by in a whirlwind after King Raven had uttered the words that I was carrying his child

The day had gone by in a whirlwind after King Raven had uttered the words that I was carrying his child. King indeed, all it took was a few times for him to bed me and I was already filled with his young. I rub my stomach for about the millionth time today. I wonder if anyone else could tell. I felt much of the same as I always did. I looked much of the same. But my entire world would change in just a few months time.

Our gestation period only took three full cycles of the moon. So I would swell and change in just a short matter of time from what my mother had once told me. At least we did not have long periods of time being swollen and uncomfortable. I think to if we could have more than one child just how many the king would be able to fill me with.

I let out a long sigh as my mind wanders to Princess Alaska. She is probably in the same condition as I am right now. I had seen her, even embraced her with a cordial smile. The king had said it would send a good message to both of the realms if we did but I had hardly been able to stand it.

She had smelled of Prince Timber. His mating scent was all over her, covering her as it had once done me. Her hair had been high up on her head as well, displaying her bitten claim to everyone. Princess Alaska wore her mark proudly while I wore my hair down to cover mine in shame.

She had eyed me like she knew but she did not say anything of it. The princess seemed genuinely happy for King Raven and I and I suppose that made sense. Us being together meant she had Timber all to herself. That she would rule and be queen of her realm; give them an heir. 

The only person missing from the ceremony had been Timber himself. When I had asked King Raven about it he had said that King Kenai and himself had thought it better if Timber did not come to the wedding. I had nodded not being able to say much to that because he was not wrong.

Timber being at the wedding would most likely be disastrous. It had already been more than enough to scent him on Princess Alaska. Actually seeing him would cause extreme havoc on my emotions, I know it would. Especially in the condition I now know that I am in I would have probably broken down.

I let out a sigh as I walk through the forest by myself. I had asked King Raven if I could be excused at the end of the festivities and he had just barely agreed. I begged him to have some time to myself, to be able to have a few moments just to experience all of the feelings going on inside of me. I am a bundle of emotions, experiencing one too many of them today.

I had taken off my shoes a little while back, wanting to feel the land beneath my feet. Timber had used to do it when we were children, run barefoot everywhere. I used to follow suit, not knowing any better. To think I  thought that was natural for my kind. Well, I had until my mother informed me otherwise. Always such a disappointment.

Letting out a little laugh as I think back to how angry my mother used to get when I would come home. She had been furious with me every single time. She would scrub me down in the tub each night, cursing the realms underneath her breath. It was odd how she never forbade me from seeing Prince Timber until I got older.