19. A Vision Awakening

It had taken quite a bit of time to get Pere to fall asleep

It had taken quite a bit of time to get Pere to fall asleep. She continued to go on and on about extinction, talking about the diminishment of our realms. Although I had continued to comfort her and tell her that everything was going to be okay there was a part of me that felt extremely guilty.

I love Pere with all of my heart and I want to be with her but she is right, our realms could dwindle out with no royal line of succession. Without rulers who will care for our people who will do so? Who will care for my people if not me?

My father is no where near in the condition to continue to rule for a good amount of time. I have no siblings. There is not another person that would be able to take my place as head of the realm, at least not one with the same lineage. If Alaska had came from an extremely good line I am sure they can find another male suitor to take my place.

My mind wanders to a certain king, thinking about how he wanted to make Pere his own. I do not think anything in me will ever let that happen willingly. Especially now that I have made her mine and marked her. The wolf in me would be absolutely devastated if that were to happen.

I cling to Pere's sleeping body tighter as she sleeps, not being able to find my own slumber. I start to ponder what it would be like if our realms could find peace in another way. It is a lost cause to think about though. Our realms would never accept this; us. They would never understand what it is to be in love with a creature that is not of your kind.

A discontented sigh leaves Pere's lips and I wonder about the things that are currently plaguing her dreams. I wonder if her sense of duty is corrupting her sleep instead of dreaming about a happy future with me. I would venture to say that is exactly what is happening.

How I wish things were not the way that they are but wishing never got anyone anywhere. Actions. It takes action to make things happen. When Pere grumbles out again it is just about all I can take. My inner wolf hates seeing my mate in such distress. I just want to fix it, make all her worries disappear.

I climb on top of her and kiss down her jawline. I suckle on her ear as I whisper sweet nothings into her ear. I tell her of our future and that I will always take care of her. I tell her how happy I will strive to make her each and every single day. That all of the things she is worrying about to stop because we have each other.

She surprises me by wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me close. "Pere?" She does not say anything but I can tell she is awake. "I did not mean to wake you, my love. I meant to ease your troubled sleep."

"You did exactly that. You woke me up out of the strangest of nightmares." I pull back and look at her, being able to make out her features because of the firelight. "It was the oddest thing." She is looking off in the distance as she shivers.

"What did you dream about?"

Her gaze is fixed on something somewhere far away. "King Raven was in the cave we were in." I stiffen automatically at her words. "He was there for days and then he was walking in a village, talking to someone. Maybe giving someone money?"