18. The Doubt Between Us

The day had gone by in a slightly awkward manner

The day had gone by in a slightly awkward manner. Ophelia had insinuated that she knew what had happened between Timber and I but she did not say a thing. I knew both our scents were now meld with one another, telling the world that we belonged together.

I was slightly embarrassed at the partial limp in my step throughout the day. Every single one of my movements had been a slightly painful reminder of our lovemaking. The way Timber's large member had pushed its way inside of me, making me take him completely, continued to flood my brain.

My cheeks warm once again, about the millionth time they have this day. I have been flushing consistently on and off thinking about what had happened between us. We were mated, claimed, bound to one another for the rest of time. We now belong to each other. We were each other's verboten, as Timber had put it. The word had such a bad connotation in our worlds and yet he had made it beautiful; made me feel beautiful when he had called me it.

After cleansing my body with a warm cloth and soap I feel somewhat clean. It is not an entire warm bath like I am used to but it will do. I had taken extra care on the sensitive area between my legs.

I think back to Timber pulling himself out of me, then feeling so much of his essence leaking from between my legs. It had made Timber growl in satisfaction. He had even taken two of his fingers and tried to push the mess coming out of me back inside. I knew he was doing it instinctually, in hopes that maybe I would be able to produce him an heir, but it had not made it any less of a surprise when he had done it.

Deep down, at the heart of it all, we both knew that reproducing was not something we could accomplish, well, with one another. Timber's need to keep me full of his seed has resonated with me though. Throughout the day I had found myself wondering what it would be like to be pregnant with Timber's child, to have his young.

I blink at my reflection in the window as I comb the knots from my hair. I begin to imagine what our children would look like. Would they have his eyes or mine? Would they have his hair or mine? His sassy personality or my more timid one? I cannot help but smile as I continue to think over these things but ultimately the thoughts bring me to sadness.

The truth of it is that it does no good to wonder, to ponder over such things, because the fact of the matter is Timber and I will never know what our young will look like. We will never parent together, never know what our combined attitudes would be. We cannot create offspring with one another. Thinking about it is pointless and, I am beginning to find, a touch hurtful.

I find my eyes in the window's reflection again. I can see the frown still set in my features. I reach forward and caress my image in the cold glass. Why was I the one chosen to save my realm and the most powerful female of my kind? Why could I not just be born a regular nomad creature where no one would even care who I did or did not mate with?

Fate was a cruel mistress to make me who I am and Timber who he is. Destined to save our realms from extinction. Destined not to be with one another but with an attraction to each other that is undeniable. And that is why we are here, deep within these snowy mountains, trying to escape our cruel mistress; escape our fate.