47. Unexpected Visitor

I had known what would happen between Peregrine and Timber when I had left

I had known what would happen between Peregrine and Timber when I had left. I knew that nothing I would approve of would transpire between them. I had been right. But hearing it come directly out of her mouth had done things to me that I cannot quite comprehend. The last time I had felt this much anger had been— I do not know when. I had allowed it to happen. I had left and I was infuriated with myself for doing so.

Hearing that they slept together multiple times was akin to having a knife stabbed directly into my chest, my heart. I could not even be mad about it because I had let it happen. I had left so that they could do what they needed to. Now I am paying the consequence of that and possibly my realm as well.

I let out a deep breath as I shift back into my human form, landing on the opposite side of the creek from Queen Alaska and her guard. "Queen Alaska, how lovely it is to see you again." I eye the shifted creatures at her side. "I cannot say that it is good to see you with your royal guard at your side."

Her green eyes harden, looking at me fiercely. "I have spoken to your man and he said that my husband is not here but according to Sir Gregory," she nods off to the large tan wolf off to her right, "he is here in this realm on a matter of great importance."

"Indeed he is."

She makes an unbelieving face as she looks around saying, "I do find that hard to believe considering he is not with you. I would like to think my husband would be by your side and welcoming me but he is not. Care to explain where he is and why you have no guard with you?"

"If I came with my guard what message would that send to you? As for your husband, your king, he is—"

"I am here, my love." Timber's voice said from behind me. "I was just out for my afternoon run, just like I take at home. You know this." The warm smile she gives him says she believes him and I cannot be more thankful for it. "My question is why in all of the realms would you bring the guard to the edge of the Sky Realm when I had told Sir Gregory of my whereabouts?" Her expression falters, looking nervous now.

"I am sorry, my king, but I have missed you so. You had left so abruptly that I was scared when you did not return after a few days. I became concerned." Timber shakes his head in disapproval and she shrinks away from him, clearly hating the look.

"You should be sorry for instilling distrust in a realm that has shown me nothing but kindness. Bringing the guard is akin to threatening war on a realm." She cringes at his words and I can tell the thought of displeasing him is extremely worrisome to her.

"It is what any good queen would do for her king." I interject. "There is no quarrel here. All I see is a protective queen wanting the safety of her king." Timber looks over his shoulder at me and I try to give him a look that says agree with me.

"You are completely right, King Raven. My queen meant your realm no disrespect, I am sure." I nod at him with a smile.

"You are all welcome but I am afraid the king was going to be leaving in just a day or so." I try to get them to see there is no danger that their king is leaving but all Alaska does is smile warmly. The action makes me instantly regret my words.

"Then you would not mind if I joined my king for the duration of his stay in your realm, then?"

"My love, I will only be here a day or so. I will be back with you in our realm soon enough." Timber tries to convince her but she is not looking like she is having it and I would feel the same way if I were in her position.

"My king, I have been away from you long enough and if King Raven truly does not mind my presence—"

"I do not." I hated that I had to say it when I wanted to tell her to turn around and leave, to never return to this realm again. Though I add, "but your guard is not welcome in my realm. I do not want any form of hostility among my realm and yours. Your guard would instill that in my people. You must understand."

"Absolutely." She shifts into a giant white wolf before crossing the creek. Once she shifts back she gives me another warm and tender smile before turning to Timber. "My king, I have missed you so." He hugs her in his arms and I pray with everything in me that she does not scent even a hint of Peregrine on him.

Once she lets him go, Timber turns back to his men that are still shifted on the other side. "Men, thank you for escorting your queen here but as you can see she is in more than capable hands. Be gone with the lot of you." The wolves turn to leave but the tan one, Sir Gregory, looks at Timber for another moment before turning around and heading back to the Land Realm like the rest.

"Shall we head back to the castle now that you are satisfied, my queen?" Timber gives her the most sincere fake grin I have ever seen because I know back to the castle is the exact last place he wants to take her.

"Yes, of course." Queen Alaska said excitedly, seemingly in a much better disposition now. "I am so looking forward to getting reacquainted with your queen." She aimed at me.

"Yes, I think she would agree." That is an absolute lie.

"I think we should have a lot to talk about." She squeezes Timber's arm affectionately. "I think we have blessed our realm with an heir at last." I give her the same fake grin Timber had and when I look into his eyes all I can see is petrification. He is worried about our young, just as I am.

"I am sure you have done our realm proud, my love." He kisses the top of her head and hugs her close but I can sense the tension rolling off of him in waves.

"What do you say the two of you walk back to the castle then?" I add. "In case of your delicate condition."

"You are right, King Raven." Her hand flutters down to her abdomen.

"I shall alert the castle of your arrival and I will have an even nicer room prepared for the two of you." I give her a little wink which Timber only glares at me for. "I am sure the queen will be exceedingly happy to know she will have more royal feminine company."

"I so look forward to meeting your young." I want to tell her there is no chance in all of the realms that she will ever meet either of them but I do not. I just nod before launching myself into the sky feeling an overwhelming sense of urgency flow through me.

✩✩✩

"She is what!?" Peregrines shrieks at me anxiously, holding Grey close to her body. "She cannot come here, Raven! How dare you invite her into our home. You know if she sees..." She clutches Grey to her and I know it is because she is not worried about Aplomado. His hair is dark with mixed eyes. She would not pick up on Timber's traits there, only if she got close enough to scent him. Grey she would. Grey had Timber's exact hair color.

"It was not an option, Peregrine, you have to believe me. I would never invite her here purposefully. Everything I have done has to protect them; you." I look away, thinking of her bedding Timber. "You know I would do anything for you." I find her eyes again and they are filled with tears. "You have to know I would do anything for you by now. You have to know that after—"

"I do." She begins to weep as she clutches onto Grey. "But I do not know what I will do if she tries to bring harm unto my children. I will murder her, Raven. I will slit her throat and not think twice if she threatens my sons." I cannot help but smirk at my wrathful little creature cradling my son.

"I know you will but you cannot."

"Why in all of the realms can I not?" She looks like a ball of rage and I hate that the next words I have to say will completely extinguish that.

"Because," I let out a long sigh and say, "she believes she is with child." I watch as she freezes automatically. Several emotions pass over her face but none of them last long enough for me to read any of them.

"I see." That is all she says before loosening her hold on Grey and looking down at him. "Then we shall welcome her with open arms. She is a guest." She stands up from her seat on our bed and walks out of the room wordlessly, our child still in her arms; Timber's child.

A/N:
How are we feeling about Alaska being in the realm?