40. Mother of the Realms

I watch Timber cradle our child with a look of pure adoration on his face

I watch Timber cradle our child with a look of pure adoration on his face. There are tears streaming in a way I had never before seen them. I can tell he is full of utter happiness and complete joy. Then his eyes flash to mine. Once he holds them for more than a moment I can feel it, something broken inside of me stitching itself back together.

"Do you feel it too?"

"By all of the realms." I am just able to utter before my neck begins to burn and the blackness pulls me under.

✩✩✩

"He looks like me. I do not care what you say."

"Yes, maybe the hair is yours, just as his is the same color as Pere and I, but those eyes are a mixture, same as his."

"He is going to be a creature of the land, I can already sense it."

Another voice scoffs, "with two parents of the Sky Realm they will most likely shift into winged creatures, you must know that."

The moment I hear a subtle growl I make myself say, "that is enough between the two of you. I have not even seen my children yet and you are both already arguing over them." I blink my eyes open to see the two of them rushing over to me with babies that are now clean and washed in their arms. "Let me see my children." They both hold out a small bundle of cuteness and I reach out, needing to hold them.

"Do you want one or both at first, my queen?" King Raven's soothing voice said. "They are getting a bit fussy and I think it is because they are hungry."

"Give me my firstborn first. I am still feeling a bit weak." Weak from the birth and whatever happened between Timber and I after he held our young. "I do not know if I can handle both right now. I may need help."

"Here," King Raven gives me a deep smile as he passes me my child adorned with his pitch-black hair. "He has our hair." The moment I take him in my arms I feel an automatic warmth spread through my chest.

"It is more your hair, I believe, Raven. It is the color of the darkest sky." I let my fingers caress the softness of it. "He is beautiful."

"He has our eyes." Timber adds. "One grey and one the color of honey."

"He is so handsome, the perfect mixture of the three of us." I stroke his sleepy face that soon cries out in hunger. "Come, little one." I free a breast and let him suckle at it which makes King Raven let out an irritated, possessive noise. "Oh stop that." I look at him and see he is eyeing Timber because Timber is eyeing my breasts as hungrily as the child on it. "And you stop that." Timber's attention comes back to me and not my breasts. "Now let me see my other son."

Timber is nothing but joyful as he steps up next to me on the other side of the bed. He sits close to me as he places him in my other arm. "He has my hair. His eyes match his brothers, but one is a brighter shade of blue."