9. Secrets in the Palms of Hands

Twenty lashings and he will never be permitted to enter to the Sky Realm as long as you are in it

The king's words continue to play throughout my skull as I walk to my chamber. Of course I'm followed by guards until I reach the heavy set of doors. Upon opening them I am met with my mother standing angrily in the middle of the room. I am surprised to see her here but not at all surprised that she is angry. Mother is always displeased with me. I cannot imagine just how much so after what just happened.

I feel a nervousness wash over me after taking a few steps toward her as I enter my room. Her jaw is set and her eyes are stone-cold as she looks me over disdainfully. Mother has always had a cool demeanor but right now she looks like the queen of a kingdom of ice.

The moment the guards close the doors, leaving us alone, I walk up to her. "Mother, I know you are not happy with me but—" A hard sharp slap from her hand stings the side of my face, cutting off my words.

"Not happy with you? Not happy, Peregrine, is quite the understatement. I am disgusted by you." I feel the tears sting my eyes at her words as I cling to the side of my face. "How dare you let that vile creature put his scent on you! You are a noble of the Sky Realm. You are destined to be with one of the most powerful kings this realm has ever been graced with!" She shakes her head in absolute disgust with me then spits out venomously, "I am so lucky that your father is not alive to see what you have just done. You have dishonored him. You have dishonored you're household name. You have dishonored our people."

"Mother, I—" She puts up her hand, signaling for me to stop talking but I continue anyway. "Please, I want to explain. Timber and I love each other. We just want to be together." Her eyes blaze furiously melting all the ice inside of them.

"You want to be with that mongrel?" She scoffs incredulously. "Will my disappointment in you ever cease to grow? I think not. You will stop talking about this nonsense of love and whatnot. You will do your duty to you king and to your realm. Do you hear me, Peregrine?"

"Yes mother." She looks me up and down one more time before turning away from me and walking out of my room. The second she leaves I drop to my knees, feeling myself begin to break down into tears.

"Princess!" Lady Wren is in front of me on the floor in an instant. "What has happened? Why do you cry in such a manner?" I don't know how long I have even been sitting here for but long enough that I did not even hear the door to my chamber open. I was so lost and caught up in all of my dread. After I gather myself I look up at her and her face looks horrified. "Princess, has someone hit you? Did someone put their hands on you?"

"Mother." Her face turns angry but aware. If anyone knew my mother's temper well it was Lady Wren. I tell her the entire sordid tale of what happened at the event watching the horror play out all over her face. "The prince scented you in front of all of the nobles?"