22. Under These Conditions

Pure, undulated fury is all that I feel as I stare at the fireplace in my bedroom

Pure, undulated fury is all that I feel as I stare at the fireplace in my bedroom. It is raging hot just like every single emotion that is going on inside of me right now. The moment I had rode up to the building I could smell their mating scents. It was strong and thick in the air as if it had just happened.

When I had hopped off of my steed a large man had exited a barn. As he had looked me over I could see the fear in his eyes. I had assured him I was not there to harm him or his mother; the woman named Ophelia who I was told was the innkeeper here with her son.

When I had entered the building and seen Timber exiting the stairs I had wanted to rip his throat out. He had mated and claimed the princess, just as I had feared he would. When his eyes had landed on me I could see the fury there. He had tossed the empty tray in his hands down and had gotten into a stance that had told me he was ready for battle.

It had taken every single thing in me to keep myself under control. I wanted to pull out my sword and slay him right where he stood. Even better yet if he had shifted, so I could take him out in his wolf form. Could put his head up in the castle, a hunting trophy of sorts. But when Princess Peregrine's footsteps had rushed down the stairs hurriedly after him all of those thoughts were snuffed out.

She had come up behind him, all wide eyes that were full of horror. She was frightened of me and I hated that fact. I did not want to scare her, I just wanted to bring her home and secure our realm. Timber's growls and adamancy that she go upstairs, away from me, did have some frightening things happening inside of me toward him though.

Once she finally made her way around him and spoke to me I knew I had gotten through to her. I knew she understood the reality of the situation. I know the notion of forbidden love is appealing but in reality, it is just messy. It is messy and ugly. I knew first hand just how messy and ugly it could be.

Prince Timber and I are a lot less different than he thinks. I was once a hot-headed young royal creature myself. I let out a sigh as I think back to my own past experience involving such things. I feel a pang in my chest as I remember what I once thought could be. I see her face, her smile, her running through the palace gardens and then I see a much more dark scene.

One day I will get Princess Peregrine to understand, to see that I know how she is feeling. I know what she is experiencing at this very moment but there is nothing good that will come of it. Nothing but war and death. That is all that can come from a forbidden pairing and whether it was their death or their peoples, their love would surely bring it.

I think about the perilous trip here and how Prince Timber put the princess in danger carelessly. He had thought I would not find them. He had thought that we would not look because they were in the North, deep within the Mountain Realm. It was not a bad thought but it was a naive idea considering spring will come and the snow will thaw. And what did he have planned for them then?