30. Downside of Sight

I have had to do a lot of hard things in my lifetime but Princess Peregrine was giving me some of my hardest tasks yet

I have had to do a lot of hard things in my lifetime but Princess Peregrine was giving me some of my hardest tasks yet. Having to soothe her of her self-inflicted wounds with my mating scent when I could not mate her was torture. I do not even want to mention the sensations I felt when having to help dress and undress her every single day and night over the past week.

It was pure and utter torture having to graze my fingers across her soft skin that still subtly smelt of Prince Timber. I did not say or do anything about it even though everything in me wanted to. No, I acted completely emotionless, like every feeling of lust she had given me was non-existent. When, the truth of the matter is, all I had wanted to do was to throw her down on any surface and make her mine, taking away the scent of another creature on her body.

My better nature forbade me of that though and for that I was grateful. Especially in a moment such as this, where I have prepared a bath for her and she needs my help undressing. Just thinking about her naked, completely submerged in water has me a bit riled already.

I clear my throat as well as my thoughts before asking her if she is ready for me to come in and help her. After she gives me her approval I enter the candlelit bathing room. When I make it over to her she is combing out the braid that had been in her hair with her fingers. She softly hums as she does so, threading her fingers through her thick dark waves. I have never seen a more beautiful woman than her in this moment.

She turns her back toward me wordlessly since we have had to make this a routine. I untie the knot at the top then unlace the strings all the way down. I run my fingers over the small of her back, something I do every time. I do not know if she minds or not but she never tells me it displeases her.

Just as I am about to walk away from her she asks me to wait. "Could you help me push the shoulders down?" I bring my hands to her shoulders and push the black and gold fabric down as she had asked. Her bare skin is beautiful but at my height I can see down the front of her dress now. I can see her two round, full breasts and have to blow a breath out of my nose in frustration.

"Enjoy your bath." I turn around abruptly and begin to walk out of the room.

"King Raven?" Her tone is hesitant.

"Yes?"

"Could you do me one more favor?" I close my eyes and do not say anything, waiting for her request. "Never mind."

"No, go on, Peregrine. What is it?"

"I was wondering if you would not mind scrubbing my back." That makes my eyes jerk open. "Lady Wren used to do it for me and I cannot reach."

"You want me to bathe you?" I asked incredulously, back still turned away from her, not thinking I could have heard her correctly. She cannot actually want me to see her, let alone touch her, while she is naked.

"Forget about it. I am sorry I asked. I do not know what I was thinking asking a king to do such a thing. I apologize for forgetting my place, King Raven."