8. A Forbidden Claim

I continuously clench my teeth together as I dance trying to keep my composure in check

I continuously clench my teeth together as I dance trying to keep my composure in check. Royal women from each one of the realms have been passed to me on and off as everyone dances to the music. I have not paid attention to any one of them though really, my mind is thinking of where my intended mate is and with whom.

Princess Peregrine has been gone nearly twenty minutes with Timber hot on her heels. He saw my expression, the warning I had given him in it, and had completely ignored it. He was a typical hot-headed creature of the land; all instincts with no regard for anyone else. His kingdom will most likely pay at the expense of it in the future, I am sure of it.

I let out a relieved sigh when I see the princess reenter the hall. She is wearing a smile that I know a certain someone had put there and I have to swallow my agitation with that fact down. I cannot show my disdain for their relationship here. I cannot do this now, not unless I want a fight to break out between our two kingdoms.

Her eyes find mine and her expression immediately falters. She knows I know, as she should. I am her king and I am observant, something so blatant would not go without me seeing it. Once she is in front of me I can smell it, him, all over her. I immediately glance around the room to see if anyone else had picked up on it but the only creatures who would are the ones from the mountain and land realms. They each have an impeccable sense of smell. Luckily, it would appear that none of them had sensed it or if they had they had studiously ignored it.

"I asked you to give me a chance, princess. This is not giving me a chance." Her eyes are immediately downcast, not meeting mine.

"It is not about giving you a chance or not." She murmurs almost inaudibly. "It was about letting him know where I stand for my kingdom and my realm." Her words make me smile. She had finally set him in his place, told him where she belongs. Hopefully he will understand now, especially since in just a few months he will be in her same position.

"I am happy to hear it." But just as I say the words I look up to see an arrogant Prince Timber entering the hall. The smirk on his face is all I need to know that she had indeed not told him of her need to be by my side. I steady my breaths and continue saying to her, "I need you to trust that what I am about to do is not out of jealousy. I am trying to protect you." I wrap my arms around her small frame and immediately begin lacing her with my claiming scent.

To anyone else it would appear harmless. During such a ceremony as this, celebrating the union of two creatures, claiming is encouraged. The act is to show everyone you want to belong to one another, which is exactly what I am trying to show to the room before me. I am not trying to lead onto the fact that my intended is coated in another male's potent scent, even if he had not claimed her.

After I finish scenting her I let her go, giving her a full-fledged smile even though a larger part of me wants to reprimand her for her carelessness. She looks up at me, giving me an almost sheepish look. "I am only trying to protect you. Whatever bond the two of you have is strong enough for me to catch. We cannot let the other royals catch that as well. Do you understand?" She gives me a quick nod. "Good. I told you I would always try to make things well."