Chapter 19 - I Dare You To...

Owen

For an October day, it's a very hot outside and you really don't want to know what the humidity is doing to my body. Wearing a suit suddenly feels like a bad idea. I am not one to complain about something as trivial as a hot and sunny day when  I could dress intelligently and according to the weather. That's why I decided to at least leave my jacket on a nearby chair. But the damage was done and my poor shirt was sticking to my back and my armpits like a second skin. You guessed it. It was damp because I, Owen Blackbourne, had been sweating like an unsophisticated animal for half an hour before I decided to divest myself and admit defeat from the heat. 

I can't believe what Sean is handing me while I am desperately flailing my arms like a bird to dry my shirt. It is a lost cause and a sad day for well-dressed men and I am not convinced my sweat will start smelling like roses, even though I willed it to. I guess my body does not want to obey my command. Oh, holy God of all the perfect brown ties! I stink! 

Looking back at the horrid t-shirt Sean has put in my hands, I have to admit that at least, it looks comfortable. He takes it back as I'm about to get out of my shirt and tie. Well, now, my brother. You better make up your mind.

" You smell like Sprinkles peed on you, went sipping tons of water and peed on you a second time. You need a shower but we don't have time for that so, here. Take this and swipe it generously under your arms. "

Ha! I should have known subtility was not in my best friend's vocabulary. Nevertheless, I appreciate the gesture and apply a copious amount of antiperspirant before putting on the awful tee. I will need to take it off in about an hour anyway and with a little luck, maybe Miss Sorenson will not see me in it.

" Really, Sean? I don't even want to know why you had this horrible thing in your possession. " 

I don't think he could smile bigger than he is right now. If he ever did, he would need stitches and it wouldn't be a pretty sight. 

" Put it on, you stinky beast! It's for your next picture. I talked with Jamie and she said we should offer Sang more pictures. Like for Christmas etc... You will be the Santa this year. No more pumpkins for you! Oh! Except for our favorite Pumpkin, of course! " he says, winking at me. Lord, help me.

 Lord, help me

This is going to be a long day. As my traitor friend goes away, probably searching for our favorite Pumpkin, as he said, I put the thing on and am distracted by two people whispering. They must be close to my location since I can even recognize the owners of the hushed voices. Corey Henshaw and Miss Jamie. I would normally be respectful and leave but decide against it as I hear Miss Sorenson being mentioned. Pressing my body against the nearest RV, I still myself and listen intently.