Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I spent the entire night lying on my bed looking up at the ceiling and considering why I have to be kept alive. That and occasionally listening to the heartbeat next door. My mind however remained blank. Nothing I came up with would fit and certainly none of it would need me to remain alive.

Once sunlight began to filter into my room I sighed and stood up walking over to my rucksack to find some clothes. It didn't take me long to change into a pair of black ripped jeans, red converse and a red t-shirt which read 'I'm not a morning person'. The t-shirt does speak the truth. However as far as I know I can't sleep anymore, not that I've really tried to sleep.

I ran a brush through my hair and tied it up in a messy bun before heading down the stairs where Alice, Jasper, Esme and Carlisle already were. "Morning." I greeted them taking a seat on one of the white leather chairs.

"Morning Arabelle." Was replied to me by each of them but with a slight difference.

"What do you plan to do today?" Esme asked me and I considered the question for a second.

"I might explore the forest for a bit before briefly heading down to Seattle to buy some clothes." I said and at the mention of clothes Alice perked up.

"I can drive you to Seattle if you want?" She offered and I nodded giving her a grateful smile.

At that moment in time there was a slight movement upstairs coming from Nico's room. I focused on it for a split second which was all it took for me to confirm it was Nico and not some monster. Always a good thing.

That is until I heard a muffled curse followed by the overpowering smell of blood. Nico's blood. Not much of it but that does nothing to reduce the scent. I could practically feel my eyes rapidly darkening and the burning sensation in my throat (the thirst for blood) increase dramatically. I hardly noticed Alice leading Jasper out the house. My hand was clenched in a ball as if it would stop me. Not that it would.

"Arabelle." I faintly registered Carlisle saying as he crouched in front of me. I focused my attention on him trying to draw it away from upstairs. "Arabelle focus on me."

"I am." I answered as calmly as I could practically forcing myself to keep my attention on him.

"Carlisle." Bella shouted from Edward's room sounding panicked.

"Arabelle will you be ok with Esme staying with you?" Carlisle asked rapidly and I just nodded in response. At that Carlisle ran at vampire speed off to find Bella and Esme came to crouch down in front of me.

"Well this is a great way to start the morning." I muttered to myself too quietly for even Esme to hear.

"I don't understand how your so calm. Most newborns would be trying to kill everything in their path to get blood and that would be normal blood not even their singers." Esme told me.

"I don't know Emse but I'm going to need to hunt again after this." I said quietly so not to need to breath to much. Upstairs I heard a loud crash from Edward's room.

"Edward calm down." I heard Carlisle's strained voice say. It was as if he was holding something back. What is going on up there?

It was then that there was an even louder crash followed by the start of sudden movement. At that exact moment it was as if instinct took over my body. I don't even remember moving but the next thing I remember is me being outside Nico's door and feeling Edward's body coldie with mine as he tries to get past me.

The force if the collision sent us both about ten metres down the corridor and both of us landing heavily on our backs. I was faintly aware of my marble like skin cracking slightly but no pain. I was too focused to feel it.

Immediately I pushed myself up standing between Edward and the door making a noise which sounded like a combination of a hiss and a growl my body slightly crouched. Edward face me a similar snarl his eyes trying to find a way around me. Just from his stance it was obvious to me that he relied more on his speed than his strength which was shown a fraction of a second later.

He ran towards me using his vampire speed. Years of training as a Demi-god came into play as I stood my ground. Before he could gather that I wasn't going to move and stop he reached me. I used his momentum to flip him over my back before using the momentum from the flip to flip myself over him so that once again I would be blocking his way to the door. I snarled again at Edward in warning.

Thankfully at this moment Carlisle, Emmett and Rosalie appeared and immediately moved in to restrain Edward. I stayed in my crouched position but relaxed slightly sensing that the threat was pretty much gone.

"Are you ok?" Esme asked me cautiously, noticing my protective stance, appearing in front of me while the other three pretty much dragged Edward outside to where Bella was out of the way.

I just nodded in reply.

"Go check on Edward Esme it's obvious you want to." I told her. She studied my face for a second perhaps to see how much control I currently had before nodding and disappearing. Once she was gone the adrenaline that was somehow coursing through my body faded and the craving returned but slightly more bearable than before.

When I was sure my vampire side was dormant enough I headed into my room and grabbed a plastic bag out of my rucksack. Next I grabbed a piece of paper and quickly scribbled down a note which I put in the bag before headed out of my room. I paused outside Nico's door for a second before dropping the bag in front of it and knocking. As soon as I heard movement heading towards the door I flashed out the house knowing he was still bleeding.

Once I got outside I noticed there were no Cullen's (or Bella) anywhere around the premises. They had probably gone somewhere after Edwards little episode which was partly my fault. I should have kept a stronger leash on my thoughts somehow.

I made my way over to the forest just stopping where I was just within the tree line where I said I would wait for Nico. I could easily tell from the position of the sun that it was only around 9:30 in the morning but I wasn't sure how. Perhaps it was a daughter of Apollo thing. While I was looking at the Sun I could hear the rhythmic sound of Nico heading downstairs from out here. Less than a minute later he was walking towards me.

"Training at 9:30 on the morning?" Nico asked and I nodded.

"You were awake and neither of us have anything to do so why not?" I replied and he shrugged as he reached me. I used the brief pause to take in what he was wearing. Black (skinny but not overly skinny) jeans with a rip just above the right knee, a skull t-shirt with his usual aviator jacket over the top and a pair of black converse. Pretty much his everyday attire but usually he wears combat boots instead of converse.

"You coming?" I asked turning to head into the forest and find the clearing from yesterday. In reply Nico began to follow me through the trees.

"How did you get to camp?" Nico asked suddenly. Randomly.

"My mother wasn't the nicest of people. She never wanted me to be born." I let out a faint sarcastic laugh. "Heck, she wanted to abort me but Apollo wouldn't let her. When I was seven she'd had enough of me getting into trouble at schools, attracting monsters, my dyslexia, ADHD. She'd had enough of not having the perfect little boy she wanted so she left me. Gave me directions on how to get to Camp Half-blood and kicked me out with nothing. Took me two weeks to get to camp and in that time I was attacked by four hellhounds. One on the first week, three on the second-"

"Of you had nothing how did you get rid of the hellhounds?" Nico asked. Not in disbelief but curiosity. To answer his question I held my palm out and a swirl of light flickered actually under my skin. It swirled around like a delicate pattern before disappearing.

"I used so much of my powers though that as soon as I got through the camp borders I collapsed. I don't remember anything until three weeks later when I woke up. A few days after I was claimed." I finished coincidentally as we reached the clearing from yesterday.

"So let's get started."