Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I got to the Big House before Nico even without using my vampire speed. I did get a few strange looks along the way. Nico probably ended up getting more strange looks since he was running after me.

"Lady Artemis." I greeted the maiden goddess when I pulled to a stop.

"Arabelle. I wanted to thank you. I was told that you are the reason one of my hunters is still alive." Artemis told me and I nodded slightly.

"I could help her so I did." I said to Artemis as I sensed Nico reach us.

"Lady Artemis." Nico greeted Artemis formally but perhaps a little coldly.

"Ah Nico. Just who I wanted to talk to." Artemis said to Nico before turning to me. "Thank you again Arabelle." Artemis told me sincerely but she was clearly telling me to leave now. How nice.

"I should probably go and get changed into dry clothes then." I commented and caught sight of Artemis' slightly confused face as she noticed that the two of us were both soaked before I headed out of the Big House. I took about ten steps before deciding that I couldn't be bothered to walk and just transported myself to the Apollo cabin through light.

"Hey Arabelle." Adrian greeted me as he was about to leave the Apollo cabin. I had transported myself to right outside the door. "Wait, why are you soaked?" He then asked confused noticing my damp hair and wet clothes.

"Hey Adrian. It's a long story and I'd like to get out of these clothes. Wet clothes aren't very comfortable." I replied and Adrian stepped aside.

"You may pass." Adrian said in a really strange voice. I don't even know how to describe it. I really don't. I think Adrian's been eating sugary foods. Slightly cautiously I stepped into the Apollo cabin and headed over to my bedside cabinet by my bed. I randomly pulled out a camp half-blood t-shirt for once and a pair of shorts. I really didn't want to route through my stuff to find something else to wear.

It didn't take me long to get changed and run a brush through my damp hair before I headed back out the door, tying my hair up in a messy bun as I headed out. Not knowing where to go I wandered around camp until I reached the edge of the forest.

Despite everything the forest is where I feel safest. I lived in the forest for years on my quest, it feels like nothing has changed when I'm here. However, if I'd been asked a few weeks ago if I want to go back I would have said yes without a doubt but now... I'm not so sure and no matter how much I try to convince myself Nico is becoming a huge part of that.

I found myself climbing up into the first low branch of a tree and sitting on it looking up through the branches to the sky. Perhaps one day all of this will begin to feel normal.

I just sat in the tree until I felt the presence of something strange underneath me. I glanced down and saw a skeleton dog causing me to fall out of the tree in surprise. Well, what would you do if you saw a skeleton dog? Though instead of hitting the ground like I had expected I was caught in a pair of arms.

"What was that for?" I asked Nico quietly fully aware of the blood pumping through his veins... And the close proximity... And basically everything else.

"Now we're even." Nico replied.

"Is there any chance I can, errr be placed back on the ground now?" I asked awkwardly.

"Oh right, yeah err sure." Nico responded placing me down.

"Thanks." I muttered missing the feeling of being held in his arms already. Eurgh, Arabelle get a grip and stay away from the Aphrodite cabin. I think they're really beginning to affect me. The two of us sort of lapsed into a very awkward silence for a few minutes until it was finally broken.

"What did Artemis want from you?" Nico questioned me curiously.

"To thank me for saving one of her hunters lives." I answered. "What about you?"

"She wanted to tell me to keep an eye on you wedding since her wolves won't be able to be there to keep watch." Nico told me. It looked like Nico was about to say something else when a loud voice cut him off.

"Hey death breath I know your out there." A voice called.

"What do you want pinecone face?" Nico shouted back to the voice as a figure came into view. She looked to be around fifteen with a punkish look about her despite the silver parka jacket and almost dainty circlet around her head.

"I want to know why you haven't been and seen me yet Nico di Angelo." She relied.

"I've been busy." Nico said once she was within hearing range. I guess Nico wasn't lying, that is, if you count water fights in the sea as busy. It was then that her gaze landed on me and it almost looked as if puzzle pieces were clicking into place inside her head.

"Your forgiven." She told Nico not taking her eyes off me as she said it. She almost seemed surprised to see me as of she knew me from somewhere. "Arabelle?"

"Thalia?"

FLASHBACK

I was running towards the park where Deimos and Phobos said they would be when I crashed into someone causing us both to fall to the ground. There was a loud growl coming from down the street causing us both to scramble to our feet. The girl I crashed into looked fearfully over her shoulder and straight at the huge dog looking creature at the end of the street. Saliva was dripping from its mouth and it's red eyes seemed to glow as they focused on the two of us.

"What is that thing?" I shouted as it started to walk towards us in what could only be described as a predatory way.

"Wait, you can see it?" The girl who looked to he a couple of years older than me asked. "Actually never mind, run!" She shouted grabbing my wrist and dragging me along with her as we ran away from the creature.

"Where are we going?"

"I don't know."

"Head right then." I told the girl. She listened and the two of us headed right. From the sounds of heavy footsteps behind and the panting it seemed that the creature was definitely gaining on us. This was one of the first times I was truly terrified. My heart was beating too fast, my legs were burning and a creature trying to kill both me and a girl I just crashed into. "Go through the arch."

The two of us ran through the arch and into the park where I was meant to meet Deimos and Phobos. Once I caught sight of Deimos and Phobos I began to run I their direction with the girl following. I don't know why I ran to them. Maybe it's because they're the only people that made me feel safe.

Once the dog creature caught sight of Deimos and Phobos it's step faltered and it whimpered sounding scared before running off away from us. Pretty much immediately I stopped running gasping for breath. The girl stopped beside me also gasping for breath but she wasn't as bad as me.

"I'm Thalia." The girl introduced herself.

"Arabelle." I replied as Deimos and Phobos began to run over to us.

END OF FLASHBACK

"Wait you two know each other?" Nico asked confused.

"Sort of. We bumped into each other years ago when a hellhound was chasing after me." Thalia replied and I nodded.

"What are you even still doing here, I would have thought that the hunters would have left already." Nico said to Thalia.

"Anyone would think you wanted to get rid of me." Thalia said with mock hurt. "Lady Artemis is going off on a hunt on her own so we're staying here since it's only a few weeks until halloween anyway."

"What's so special about Halloween?" I asked cutting in.

"You haven't been here recently for Halloween?" Thalia questioned shocked.

"No."

"Now I really can't wait for Halloween." Thalia said then pointed her finger at Nico. "You. Don't tell her."

"Fine, I won't." Nico replied.

"Race you back to camp?" Thalia asked me.

"Sure." I agreed and we both took off running.

AN: sorry it's short but I really want to get onto the next chapter. Bella and Edward's wedding. What do you guys think happens at Halloween?