Chapter 22

Photo is Adrian

Chapter 22

As soon as the light faded around me at the dining pavilion I sat down at the Apollo table ignoring my siblings confused glances my way. Chiron can tell them when he gets here, or at the camp fire. Probably the camp fire, there will be more people there. I sighed and thought of the strawberry milkshake I had with Deimos and Phobos once and watched as my glass filled up with the pink liquid. I picked up the glass and took a sip noticing it tasted exactly the same.

After perhaps a couple of minutes Nico walked in. I watched as his eyes scanned the Apollo table until they met mine and stopped. Awkwardly I ducked my head looking away. "What's going on with you and death kid?" A voice beside me asked.

"Nothing, why?" I asked the guy next to me. He looked like a younger version of dad just with slightly darker hair.

"You two come to Camp together there's bound to be rumours isn't there." He tells me and I sighed.

"Isn't there always?" I asked and he shrugged.

"I guess. I don't tend to listen to gossip, most of it is way too over exaggerated." My half brother replied.

"Speaking from experience?"

"I'm Bi and everyone makes way too big a deal out of it." He told me and I nodded.

"Arabelle." I introduced myself holding out my hand.

"Adrian." He replied and briefly shook my hand. The two of us then fell into silence and began eating. Food isn't amazing even when I'm human but it is edible. I continued to pick at my food occasionally listening into people's conversations without realising. I found out so much about myself I never knew was true... Probably because none of it is true.

It was only when I fell a tap on my shoulder that I looked up and saw a kid a few years younger than me. "Chiron wants you to head over to the Big House. It's urgent." The kid told me before running off to go and join the Hephaestus cabin' table. I frowned slightly to myself and stood up noticing Nico was also standing up. What is going on now?

I began to head out of the pavilion completely aware of the fact Nico was about to join me. I paused and waited for him to catch up. "Chiron?" Nico asked me and I nodded.

"Any ideas?" I asked him.

"No clue." Nico replied before the two of us drifted into silence. It wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't completely comfortable either.

No-one was around Camp apart from the occasional heading either to their cabin or the pavilion. It seemed strange to see camp this empty it was almost always full of people moving around.

When the two of us finally reached the Big House Nico knocked on the shut door which Chiron opened less than a minute later. Thirty two seconds later to be exact... Yes I did count. "Ah Arabelle, Nico, you're here." Chiron said gesturing for us to come inside. "Down the corridor and the second door on the left." He added before walking off. Okay then. I ran my finger across the charm which would get rid of my human illusion before deciding against it for now. Chiron wouldn't put us in any danger.

The two of us headed down the corridor and to the second door on the left. I resisted the urge to walk in front of Nico.

I pushed the door open and headed inside the room with Nico close behind me. "Hades?" I asked in confusion.

"Dad?" Nico said at exactly the same time as me.

"Nico, Arabelle." The God of the Underworld greeted us.

"What do you want?" Nico asked his dad.

"Why do you always assume that I want something?" Hades asked in reply.

"Because you always do." Nico answered.

"Perhaps, but this time I don't." Hades said then creased his brow in thought. "Well sort of. I do need you to help Arabelle."

"Help Arabelle with what?" He questioned confused. Hades then stepped up to me and placed his thumb and forefinger on my forehead.

"Great." I muttered just before the pain hit me. It was like fire coursing throughout my body. I grit my teeth and clenched my fists determined not to scream. My nails dig into the palm of my hand drawing blood which slowly began to trickle down my hand. The pain rapidly began to increase until it reached the point where I honestly felt like I was about to spontaneously combust before it vanished to nothing. Hades removed his thumb and forefinger from my forehead and watched me interested.

"My dad told you to do that didn't he?" I questioned already knowing the answer.

"Yes but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't deem it necessary. That and the fact I was curious as to wether you would go mad." Hades replied before the shadows seemed to gather around him and he vanished.

As soon as he was gone my legs decided they had had enough and buckled underneath me. I didn't bother to try and stand up again yet, there was no point, I would just fall again. It didn't take long for Nico to be crouched down beside me.

"What did he do?" Nico asked concern slightly lacing his voice.

"Freaking blessed me." I answered mentally cursing Hades. The thing about being blessed? It hurts. A lot. "Being blessed hurts, let me tell you that." I added leaning my head back against the wall.

"You ok?" Nico asked as he sat down beside me.

"Yeah, just give me a minute." I replied. Yes I lied. When Aphrodite blessed me I passed out and didn't wake up for at least a week. When Artemis blessed me it was the same but only five days. At the moment I'm trying not to pass out. It's harder than it sounds.

After about a minute and a half had passed I finally managed to stand up, using the wall for support. Gradually I began to make my way forwards despite the protests of my legs which had joined forces with gravity to try and bring me down. I think that they were winning. My left leg caved underneath me and I had to lean against the wall to stop myself from completely falling. Yep they're definitely winning.

"Need help?" Nico asked me.

"No." I said pausing for a second and glaring down at my legs. "Yes." I sighed reluctantly. I don't like being given help. I think it's because I had to do everything for myself when I was little.

A little reluctantly I took Nico's hand and felt darkness from shadows wash over me. After a few seconds the shadows passed and I looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings. "Your cabin?" I questioned briefly taking everything in. Nico nodded gently releasing my hand and heading over to a set of draws. He pulled open the second draw and pulled something out before throwing it to me. I caught the object and glanced down at it. "Thanks." I told Nico biting into the square of Ambrosia.

"No problem." Nico replied. "We should probably head to the Camp fire."