Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Trick or Treat!" I heard the ten people who were still trying to get as much candy as humanly possible in the four hours we were staying out of Camp. The rest of us who had given up now that three hours had passed tended to stay at the bottom of the houses drive or anywhere that isn't too far away from the rest of the group. Incase there was some form of monster attack or any other signs of trouble. Thankfully, there had been none so far.

I leaned against a wall watching as the people who were still trick or treating were given more sugar filled treats by a little seven year old boy dressed as a skeleton. Why was the kid even up this late? It's almost midnight now. Kid's are strange these days. Or perhaps I just don't know much about kids. I don't really know for sure.

I shook my head looking at the almost bulging bags of the already hyper people as the seven year old kid shut the door and they began to walk back towards us. Well Leo, Percy, Travis and Connor skipped but the others walked. This is why you don't give ADHD people too much sugar. They just get crazier than usual. Trust me you don't want to meet people with ADHD high on sugar. It's like being in a room full of three year olds who have been eating sugar none stop for six hours.

I could hear Annabeth and Calypso who were walking behind the four skipping demi-gods asking each other how they put up with Percy and Leo.

"Are they usually like this when they have too much sugar?" I asked Thalia who was stood next to me.

"Unfortunately, yes." She replied looking over in the direction of the four.

"How can you deal with them?" I questioned her as we began to head further up the street.

"I don't usually have to." She shrugged as we drew to yet another stop.

"Right, hunter of Artemis."

"It has it's perks." She answered as we watched some of the others head up to another decorated house.

"I guess so."

------------•-------------•-------------

It was perhaps another half an hour later when we ran into trouble. A whole pack of hellhounds load of trouble. I guess there must be a pretty strong scent coming from us. I'm surprised it took this long for something to find us.

The first thing I heard was the growling and howling. Still too distant for anyone else to hear. It sounded as if they were surrounding us. As if they were going to try and cage us in.

Since when are monsters ever that smart?

"I'll be back in a moment." I told Thalia before heading across the street and over to Nico.

"What's happening?" Nico asked me as I got closer noticing the slightly panicked look on my face. It wasn't that I was worried that we couldn't get rid of them. It was more someone getting hurt that I was worried about.

"Hellhounds. A lot of them. It sounds like they're circling around us so they can attack at every angle and all at once." I replied quietly. I didn't want anyone to overhear. Super hearing isn't the easiest thing in the world to explain.

"As soon as they're just outside our hearing range tell everyone. The hunters might still be a bit suspicious but they probably won't bother to say anything especially since you know Thalia." Nico muttered back and I nodded slightly.

"Ok, just... be careful. Something's not right with monsters lately." I warned him before, slightly reluctantly, walking back to Thalia.

"What was that about?" Thalia asked me raising an eyebrow.

"I was just asking him something about capture the flag tomorrow night." I lied listening back into the hellhounds. They were closer but still not quite close enough. Absentmindedly, I bit my lip slightly in worry at how oblivious everyone else seemed to the danger we were in.

"The rest of the hunters and I are going to win." Thalia stated knowing it was true. The hunters always win.

"Probably, but if we don't all at least try Ares cabin would get really mad and blame us all for losing. No-one really wants to have to watch their backs for Ares cabin." I replied, talking slower than usual as my brain didn't really like trying to do two things at once. Wait...if I don't have blood to travel to my brain then how can my brain still even be working?

Ok, focus Arabelle. You can think about why your brain isn't brain dead later.

There was another series of bloodthirsty sounding howls even closer this time. Just about close enough. "Did you hear that?" I asked Thalia even though I knew she hadn't.

"No, what was it?" She asked me sounding slightly concerned and confused.

"Hellhounds." I replied to her.

"What? How many?"

"I don't know, I can't see them but it sounds like a lot." I told her making my voice sound a little panicked which wasn't too hard. I already was a little panicked.

"Guys." Thalia called slightly urgently making sure her voice was only just loud enough for everyone to hear. Upon hearing the slight urgency in her voice everyone began to make their way over curiously. Well, everyone apart from Nico. He knew what was going on.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked Thalia.

"Hellhounds. A lot of them." I told her before Thalia could.

"Where?" Annabeth asked me this time.

"All around us." I answered. There was a another series of howls and snarls and based on how Calypso jumped slightly I'm guessing that everyone can hear them now. I ran my finger along my ring before pressing down. My sword appeared in my hand as other demi-gods and hunters got out their concealed weapons. Well, the Huntresses bows just sort of appeared but you get the idea.

There were a couple more growls then it all fell silent which honestly was a lot more nerve wracking then when they're snarling at you. At least then you can hear where they are.

Focusing I listened even harder for where they are. There heavy footsteps were getting closer by the second. I could even hear there shuddering breaths. Everyone began to group together to offer each other their protection.

The footfalls suddenly rapidly slowed down to a predatory walk as hellhound after hellhound flooded into the street. Their eyes were glowing red and mouths dripping with saliva as they all watched us.

The last few hellhounds walked into the street and filled in the empty gaps. None of us made a move to attack, we were waiting for them. Seeing what they were going to do. They all just sort of stood there for a minute. I would have said that they were looking for weaknesses but that would be ridiculous. Monsters don't do that.

A minute passed and then all at once, they attacked.