Make A Wish: Part 13

I was brought back to consciousness by the annoying sound of an alarm clock. I groggily reach over and press the snooze button. Then I sit up and stretch my arms letting out a big yawn. I noticed I'm slightly dizzy, and have a small headache. This wishing stuff sure takes a lot out of ya, I thought.

I slowly took in my new surroundings. I was obviously in a teenagers bedroom. There were posters of old bands and stuff from the 90's everywhere. It was the kind of stuff I was into when I was in high school.

By my bed I noticed a calendar hanging on the wall. A closer look told me that my wish had worked. It was year 2003. April 21st.

I walked into the bathroom connected to my bedroom, and looked at myself in the mirror. I was Selina again. Well, a 17 year old version of Selina, that is. I had forgotten how bad I looked in high school. Pimples, braces, small boobs, the whole works.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all...

"Selina! Don't tell me you slept in again! You're gonna be late for school!" I heard a voice I know so well say. A voice I haven't heard for a long time.

Mom

I quickly searched my closet for something decent to wear. I settled for some jeans with a blue tank top, and a pair of sneakers.

While brushing my wavy black hair, I noticed a bright pink strip on one side. Yet another thing I had forgot about.

Wow, I did some strange things when I was 17.

"Selina! Get your ass down here missy!" My mom yells again.

I search for my backpack and found it hanging on the back of a chair by my desk. Right where I always put it. I sling it over my shoulder and then dash downstairs.

I couldn't stop myself from running to my mom and hugging her tightly. Something I haven't gotten to do for 3 years.

"Mom. I missed you." I say on the verge of crying. She was just how I remembered.

"Missed me? I saw you last night. Are you feeling ok, Selina?" She said on that motherly tone. She felt my forehead, convinced something was wrong with me.

"I'm fine. Just happy to see you." I smiled.

"Well we should probably get going. School starts in 20 minutes. Wouldn't want to be late on your first day at your new school." She says.

New school... Could it possibly be what I'm thinking?

"What school is that again?" I ask trying not to sound dumb but failing.

"You should know you're the one that picked it." She says. After my still confused expression she answers me. "Roosevelt high school, Selina." She says in her slight Spanish accent.

"Right." I say. But on the inside I was screaming.

Thats the high school Bruno went to!

*~*~*~*~*~*

We pulled up to the from of the high school. On a big sign there was the words "Roosevelt High" plastered in red.

My nerves started to kick in. I was never very good at making friends or being social. I was the awkward girl who always had her nose in a magazine with her headphones on, jamming to some music.

I hopped out of the car and went to the front office to pick up my schedule. My first class was Algebra 2, in room 312.

Ugh math.

I walked down the halls full of teenagers mingling with their friends by the lockers. I seemed to already be the outcast here.

After I finally found and stuffed some stuff into my locker, I heard the sound of a bell ringing. That means class is about to start.

I look around to see kids filing into classrooms until I'm the only one left in the hall.

Great. Now I get to endure the embarrassment of being the new girl walking in late on her first day.

As I keep walking, I glance between my schedule, and room numbers. Still seeing no sign of room 312.

"Oof." I come to a sudden stop as I smack straight into someone. My books fall from my hands and I land right on my butt. "I'm so sorry I..." I start to say. My words cut off when I look up to see the person in front of me. He's knelt down picking up my books. I can't see his face, but I do see a giant mop of brown curls.

When he's gathered all my books in his arm he looks up at me. His smile showcasing those perfect dimples I know so well. "That's alright. It was mostly my fault." Bruno says. He extends out his hand to help me up, which I graciously excepted.

I felt my cheeks burn a the sight of him. I've seen pictures of Bruno from high school, with his giant afro and identical face structure that was unmistakably his. Except for his hair he looks exactly like the Bruno Mars I know so well. It was mesmerizing.

He gives me a strange look. "Are you new here? I don't think I've seen you around before." He asks.

I clear my throat and stop drooling over him. Snap out of it, Selina. "Uh, yes. It's my first day actually." I say shyly.

"I'm Bruno. What's your name?" He asks handing me my books back.

"Selina." I reply sticking my hair behind my ears nervously. His eyes were scanning my face and it was thrilling yet uncomfortable at the same time.

"Well welcome to Roosevelt High, Selina." He smiles again. Then he takes the schedule out of my hand and looks at it. "Room 312. Same as me. Can I walk you to class?" He asks.

I nod my head in response and he hands me my schedule back. "Right this way, ma lady." He says in a funny voice his arms extended in front of him. He gives off yet another one of those perfect smiles

I could never get tired of those dimples, I thought.