Make A Wish: Part 20

The next day I sat impatiently in my chair staring between the door and the clock. The time was 7:19 and first hour starts at 7:20.

The final bell ring and I sighed in relief as everyone took their seats and got quiet for the class to start. Mr. Tucker was scrawling some stuff onto the chalk board.

I looked at the empty chair in front of me, thinking about him, but also thinking about keeping him safe.

Mr. Tucker turns towards the class and begins his lecture on how to find the missing lengths of different shapes. I tried to listen but my thoughts were clouding my mind.

Just then a figure emerged from the door and I didn't even have to look to see who it was. Just out of the corner of my eye I saw the familiar way he walked. The way his afro bobbed up and down as he did so. On the inside my heart was racing.

The one day I'm supposed to be avoiding him he just had to come to class, didn't he?

"So nice of you to join us today Mr. Hernandez." The teacher says as he does every time Bruno walks in late to his class. Instead of giving a witty remark Bruno simply nods and then slumps into his seat in front of me. He didn't acknowledge me whatsoever but that wasn't what was bothering me at the moment. All I could think about was how close we were. I don't think this is what Astrid meant by "keep your distance" at all.

"Where is your textbook, Hernandez?" Mr. Tucker asks Bruno.

"At home where I want to be. Do you think it would switch me places? I mean I'm sure it already knows all this stuff anyways." Bruno says causing the whole class to giggle. Ah, there's the Bruno I know.

"Extra textbooks are in the back shelf. I suggest you grab one." He says unamused at Bruno's humor. I imagine Bruno rolling his eyes before standing up to go get one. As he passes me I look away, but I felt his gaze hold on me for a split second before he continues the path towards the back of the room. I keep my gaze held forward as he retrieves a textbook. I hear his footsteps against the floor as he comes back towards his seat.

Just when I let my guard down, I felt my leg go numb. I couldn't feel or move it at all and it definitely wasn't something normal. Then my leg jerked out to the side right as Bruno was walking past. The whole class erupted with laughter as he tripped and fell on his face.

Just as sudden as my leg had gone unresponsive, it came back to my control again. Bruno turned his gaze and glared at me angrily. How would I explain this? I was a deer in headlights that was about to get hit by a car. Saying "it was an accident" didn't seem like such a good idea so I gave him my most sincere apologetic look. He just grumbles as he returns to his seat. The class resumes as if nothing had happened.

When Mr. Tucker wasn't watching Bruno threw a waded up ball of paper over his shoulder that landed on my desk. I gulp as I take possession of it and unwrap the paper to reveal a message.

"Oh so now you're gonna act like a bitch because we're broken up? I didn't think you were so low, Selina."

Reading the note causes my heart to break in a million different pieces. It was obvious we weren't seeing eye to eye at the moment but never once did it occur to me that our relationship was over. I was hoping we would find a way to get past this once Astrid helped me find out who had my necklace. I want so badly to just go to LA with Bruno. I may have just ruined any chance of getting him back.

No not I, someone else just ruined my chances to get him back. But who?

I look around the classroom in search of anyone who might be suspicious. But everyone was either paying attention to Mr. Tucker, writing notes, or sleeping.