Make A Wish: Part 14

As Bruno continued to lead me to the classroom, I decided to make conversation with him.

"So...Bruno. Why didn't you go to class when the bell rang like everyone else?" I ask

He gives a small chuckle. "Oh I hardly ever go to first period. Usually I just roam the halls playing my guitar until the vice principal chases me down." He gives me a smirk and i can tell he thinks he's such a badass for ditching class. "I mean why do I need math when I'm gonna be a performer?" He asks sureness in his voice.

I wanted to tell him how right he was, and about all the things he will accomplish in the future. His singing career, Grammys, millions of fans, everything. But I decided it was probably best for him not to know about all that.

Instead I said "That's a good point."

He stops and looks at me. "Wait, you actually believe I'll be a famous singer?" He asks.

"Why not?" I shrug.

Again he shows off those perfectly straight white teeth. "Not many people believe in me like that. Usually it's "Bruno your thinking way too high." And "You know the chances of it happening are next to none." Or my dads favorite, "Go to college!" People don't understand. Music is all I know. It's what I was born to do." He says in a thoughtful lighthearted tone.

"Well I say you can do anything. As long as you believe in yourself, who cares about what anyone else thinks?" I tell him.

"You're right. I'm kinda glad I bumped into you now." He says causing me to blush.

"Well here it is. Room 312 AKA hell." He says.

"Are you coming or are you gonna stay out here and live out your rebellious days?" I ask jokingly.

He shrugs. "I'm already here I might as well go." He says reaching for the door. He pauses. "Besides, I should at least make sure you survive your first day of Mr. Tuckers class." He smirks.

"How kind of you." I tease.

We both walk into the room right in the middle of the teacher giving a lecture to the class. All eyes turn to us, which was exactly what I DIDN'T want to happen.

"Mr. Hernandez, how nice of you to join us today." The teacher says eyeing Bruno.

"No problem, Mr. T." Bruno shrugs. The whole class starts giggling earning a death glare from the teacher.

"And I see you brought someone with you. Is she a new student?" Mr. Tucker asks.

"Indeed she is. Her name is Selina." Bruno says.

"Well Selina, welcome to algebra 2. You can sit in any open seat you like." He says extending his hand to the rows of chairs and students. "Oh and if I was you, I would quickly make some friends that aren't hooligans like Bruno here." He says rather rudely.

Bruno didn't seem that offended by it, though. He's probably used to all the criticism by now. "Preeshiate chu Tuck." Bruno says before walking over and sitting in an empty seat. I follow him and slide into the chair directly in front of his.

"Now then. Where were we?" Mr. Tucker asks.

*~*~*~*~*~*

By the time the bell rang my hand was cramping from taking so many notes. I had forgotten how much I hated school, and it was only first period.

Everyone started shuffling and packing their belongings, then heading to the next class. I started to do the same.

As I sling my bag onto my shoulder I still felt Bruno's presence behind me. He was waiting for me, I guessed.

"Miss Gonzales, a word please?" I hear the teacher say from his desk. I didn't really like being called by my last name, but whatever.

I walk over to him. "Yes Mr. Tucker?" I ask.

"I just wanted to make sure you are understanding the material so far. Since we're already so far into the semester, ya know." He says.

"Oh, yeah I'm fine." I say. And it was true. I've always been sort of a math whiz. It just came naturally to me. What I didn't like was how much work it was.

"Very good. Enjoy the rest of your first day Selina." He says and I nod. "Oh, and Mr. Hernandez. I hope you know you are failing my class. You realize if you don't pass algebra 2 you don't get to graduate, right?" He asks.

Bruno rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah, I know." He says.

"Then I suggest you think about getting some sort of tutor." The teacher says.

"Selina could tutor me." Bruno says but it came off as more of a question.

"Do you mind helping Bruno with his math, Selina?" Mr. Tucker asks.

What a dumb question. Tutoring Bruno means I get to spend time with him, which is exactly what I want.

"Of course not. I'd love to help." I say sweetly.

Then me and Bruno walk out of the room together, me checking my schedule for where to go next. "German is right across the hall." He says nodding in that direction.

"Thank you." I say. He walks with me over to the door of the German classroom.

"So I guess we're gonna be study buddies from now on." He smirks.

"Oh, joy." I say sarcastically. I can tell he likes when I use sarcasm. In reality my heart was pounding at the thought of it.

"So how does tonight at my place sound?" He asks leaning against the wall with his hands stuffed in his jean pockets.

"Sounds great." I say.

"We can walk there after school. It's not that far." He says.

"Ok." I say.

"Awesome. Then I guess I'll see ya then, Selina." He says smiling.

"Yeah. See ya." I say before he turns and walks off. There were butterflies still in my chest from being around him. I'll never understand the effect he has on me, no matter what age he is.

As he walks down the hall I see all the girls swoon over him. It kinda made me jealous, but then again he didn't seem interested. I'm the one he asked to tutor him, after all.

Today seemed to be off to a good start.