Make A Wish: Part 19

I didn't stop him. Every muscle in my body ached for me to chase after Bruno, and to tell him I changed my mind.

What I couldn't understand was why I had said those things. Bruno is all I've ever wanted. And I know for sure it wasn't me who could have said no. It was all so confusing.

My hand instinctively went to my neck, thinking about what choices I had. I do have one more wish left, but is it worth it to use it?

Except the more my hand traveled across my neck, the more I realized there was nothing there.

The necklace was gone.

I jumped up from my bed and dashed to my mirror, and my fears were confirmed. My neck was bare. No blue gem, no black ribbon, just skin.

I tore apart my whole room in search of it, even though in my heart I knew it was not here.

If I don't find it....I'll be stuck like this forever.

I collapsed to the floor choking in sobs. What could I do now?! I don't have Bruno, and I don't have the necklace. Which means I have nothing.

Where is Madam Astrid when you need her?

"You rang?" A voice startles me. I look up and find none other than Madam Astrid casually sitting in my chair in front of my vanity mirror. She was yet again different than both times I've seen her in the past. This time she was a teenager, like me. She looked like a born and raised Hawaiian.

"Madam Astrid." I say. Hope filling my voice.

"Please, dear. Just Astrid is fine." She smiles. She studies me and her expression softens. "What is wrong, Selina?" She asks.

My hand reaches for the empty spot on my neck once more. My facial expression saying it all.

Astrid gasps at the sight. "You lost the gem?" She asks. I solemnly nod my head.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

She stands up and starts pacing. "This isn't good. This is NOT good at all." She says.

"What do I do? You're some sort of witch, right? Can't you magically bring it back? Or make a new one?" I ask desperately.

She chuckles. "I'm not a witch, Selina. I'm a Sorceress." She says. Then she shakes her head. "I'm afraid there is no way to conjure it back. Or a way to make a replacement. Dream stones are very rare and nearly impossible to find. There is only one stone per each person meant to have their dreams come true." She says.

"But just look around. This isn't my dream!" I say angrily. This can't be true. There has to be some way to fix this.

"Yes the necklaces do like to be difficult, my dear." She says. This frustrates me even more.

"I don't know what to do! I don't know why I said the things I did to Bruno! I don't know anything anymore!" I yell. Her attention snaps to me.

"What do you mean you don't know why you said some things to Bruno?" She asks. I was confused on how this was important at the moment.

"He asked me to come with him to LA, and I said no. But I didn't mean to I swear! It was like someone had literally put the words in my mouth..." I say remembering again what happened between me and him not long ago. My heart hurt at the memory of him walking out.

"Oh my..." Astrid says in deep thought. She knows something that I don't.

"What-what's happening to me?" I ask. She shakes her head. "Please! I need to know. Just tell me what's going on!" I shout.

"Someone has your necklace." She says.

"Who? How do you know??" I ask still in search if the truth.

"When the dream stone is connected with its owner, it becomes a part of you, Selina." She snaps her fingers and a book appears in her hand. She flips it open to a diagram of a dream stone necklace next to a human figure. "The moment the gem glows signals the connection." She says and I watch in amazement as the diagram comes to life. Not only did the gem start to glow, but so did the heart of the person. "They are bonded for all eternity until either all the wishes are used, or the stone is deactivated by its owner." She says.

"So I can deactivate it?" I ask.

"Not right now. Just as you need the stone in your possession to make a wish, you also need it to deactivate its power." Astrid says.

"This still doesn't tell me how you know someone else has my necklace." I tell her.

She sighs and gives me that "isn't it obvious?" Look. I shake my head. "Since you are connected to this necklace, that means it is still part of you even when you don't have it." She says. I nod. "You said that you had said and done things that you had not intended to do, yes?" She asks.

"I would never purposely say what I did." I assure her.

"Then that means someone has the necklace and made you do those things." She says.

"I thought I was the only one that could use it?" I ask confused.

"You are the only one who can grant wishes with it. Not the only one that can use it's power." She says.

"I haven't told anybody about it, though." I try and rack my brain to come up with someone who might know about my gift.

"Whoever has the necklace, can control you, Selina." She says gravely and my blood turns to ice. The thought of someone being able to force me to do anything terrified me.

"Who would do this to me?" I start to softly cry again. This was all becoming very overwhelming.

"Someone who has knowledge of the magical world." She says. She puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I will try my best to find out who is doing this, Selina. In the meantime... Stay away from Bruno." She says seriously.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"This person is obviously trying to destroy your dreams. Your dream is to have Bruno, so to keep him and yourself out of danger...It's best to keep your distance."

Would this person really hurt Bruno just to get to me?

"I'll try." I say. Although I'm not sure how easy that's going to be at school. We have first period and lunch together.

"Hang in there, dear." Astrid says before she vanishes. Leaving me only with myself and my thoughts.

One thing I knew for sure was, things were about to get a hell of a lot more intense.

And with that I finally went to sleep.