Make A Wish: Part 16

I told Bruno I would go to his gig tonight. He gave me the address and time. It started at 7 but he had to go early to set up and everything. So I waited eagerly at my house until it was time to go. I wished I could have talked to my mom a bit more, considering I was rushed this morning to school. Unfortunately she's going to be at work tonight, so I'll have to wait till later to catch up with her. I'm still debating wether or not I should tell her about my uh...gift? I've just missed her so much and maybe if I told her I could prevent...

I stopped myself in my thoughts. I didn't want to even think about it. So for now I'm gonna promise myself to keep my secret to myself. I won't tell anyone about the necklace. At least not yet.

I glance at the clock that reads 6:30. Well... I guess it couldn't help to be a little early. Mostly because I don't think I can wait a second longer.

*~*~*~*~*~*

The place Bruno's address led me to was a somewhat small looking building. Very Hawaiian themed that's for sure. I wonder what exactly this "gig" of Bruno's is.

I walk inside to find it looks like a restaurant inside. Aside for the stage at the front. This must be a place for tourists to come eat and enjoy some Hawaiian entertainment.

I spotted Bruno hard at work on the stage. It looks like he's trying to fix a piece of equipment. I went over to a small table towards the front of the stage and took a seat. I watched him as he concentrated on the object he was working on.

Finally when he was finished he looked up and caught my eye. A smile spread across his lips and he made his way towards me. His afro bounced as he jogged over to where I was seated.

"I didn't expect you to come so early. Show doesn't start till 7." Bruno says taking a seat next to me. I took a second to examine him. He had changed into a green Hawaiian shirt and black slacks. It was cute.

"I wanted to make sure I got a good seat." I told him. Ok so it wasn't the whole truth but I technically didn't lie. I glanced around to find there wasn't even very many people yet. Although the show starts in 10 minutes. "So this is your gig?" I ask trying to make conversation.

"Well that's what I like to call it. I've been working here for my whole life actually. I'm the announcer and opening act for a magic show. It's not the best job but it's music. Plus I don't have much longer before graduation and then I'm off to LA anyways." He says. I thought about him going to LA. How am I going to make my plan work if he leaves?

"Well I can't wait to see it." I say making him grin.

"Hey Selina...I had a question for you." Bruno says looking down nervously. I was a little stunned but also curious of what he wanted.

"I might have an answer." I smirk at him. He chuckled a little.

"Ok here it goes." He takes a deep breath before continuing. "Selina would you...-"

"Bruno! Whatcha doin boy? Shows startin soon! I ain't payin you to sit around and talk all night!"

I turned to see the manager who is also Bruno's boss standing on the stage looking at us. Bruno sighs and stands up. "Yes, sir." Bruno says. The boss gives Bruno one more glare before walking away. Bruno turns to me. "Sorry I gotta go perform Sel. I promise right after the show I'll meet up with you. You will wait for me, right?" He asks.

"I'm not going anywhere. I promise. Now go do your show. Good luck!" I tell him with a reassuring smile. He returns it then walks to the back of the stage.

I sat back down and waited for the entertainment to start. My mind kept wandering and I just couldn't stop thinking about what he wanted to ask me. Ugh his damn boss had to show up and interrupt him. Hopefully he will tell me after the show.

The lights dimmed and Bruno hopped up on center stage. He grabbed the mic. "Hey hey hey we're gonna have a good show tonight! Make some noise!" He said. The crowd cheered a little bit. "Say what?" He said leaning in and touching his ear for effect. The crowd cheered and applauded louder now. "Aloha!" Bruno says.

He picks up his guitar and started jamming. He played mostly oldies songs that I happened to know from my mom. After about 9 songs he stopped and got serious. "This last song I would like to dedicate to someone tonight." He paused and looked directly at me. "This is an Elvis song. I haven't done one of these in a while. And it goes like this." He says. He grabs a stool and sits in front of the mic. His hands positioned on the guitar. He starts strumming.

"Wise men say, only fools rush in."

"But I can't help falling in love with you."

"Shall I stay? Would it be a sin."

"If I can't help falling in love with you."

He smiled to himself a little, but didn't make eye contact with me again. It was like he was a little embarrassed. But I didn't care because all that mattered at this moment was that he was singing to me and I hoped what he sang was true.

"Like a river flows, surely to the sea. Darling so it goes, some things are meant to be."

"Take my hand. Take my whole life too."

"For I can't help falling in love with you."

Finally he looked up at me and our eyes met. And I thought, if a picture can say a thousand words, then a look must say a million. Cause the way he looked at me said everything.

"And now, The Magic Of Polynesia." Bruno told the crowd. They all clapped and cheered and whistled as a magician and hula dancer entered the stage.

Taking his guitar with him he hopped off the stage and came straight towards me. Without saying a word he took my hand and led me outside. Me at a loss for words didn't question it.

He led us to an old looking car. Well to me it looked old but I have to remember this is probably a newer car actually. It was the color of army green and looked like a type of jeep. "I thought it would be quieter for us to talk out here. I hope you didn't mind." Bruno said leaning against the jeep. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it up.

"Darn I was really looking forward to that magic show." I said. I gave him a playful smirk so he knew I was joking. We both laughed. "This is a pretty cool car." I told him touching the cool surface.

"That's The Whip." He says. I raise my eyebrow in question.

"You named your car The Whip?" I chuckled.

"Hey make fun of it all you want. It's still a car that runs. And that's good enough for me." He says. He takes one last drag of his cigarette then crushes it with his foot. Before I knew it he came really close, just inches from my face. I froze up.

"Listen Selina... I know I'm going to sound completely crazy, insane, and out of my mind. And this is probably the corniest thing you're ever gonna hear, but I did mean the words of that song. I can't help falling in love with you." He said studying me with those beautiful brown eyes.

"I don't think it's corny." I whispered. The back of his hand brushed my cheek and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Then that either means both of us are crazy, or you just haven't been hit on by corny guys very often." He smirked. He took my hand in his and I felt tingles run through me as his fingers glided over my knuckles. "You know...our school is having prom this weekend. And I don't have a date yet." He looks up at me expectantly.

"I don't either." I say.

"Selina Gonzalez will you be my date to prom?" He asks all sweetly.

"Is that what you were trying to ask me earlier?" I ask. He nods. "Of course I'll be your date to prom, Bruno." I tell him.

"But that's not all I want to ask you." He says seriously. I felt myself shiver slightly. He gently rubs his hands up and down my arms, as if to make me warm. "I would also like to ask permission...to kiss you." He says.

I bite my lip to stop from grinning like an idiot. "Ok." I say and nod slightly.

His arms slip to my waist as he pulls me closer to him. We lean in and then our lips meet, sending electricity through my whole body. I cup his face with my hands softly. Then we pull apart and our foreheads rest against one another's. At that moment I don't think either of us could have been happier.