Chapter 4- First Mission

You are one of the first to finish dressing and as a result wait several minutes for the remaining members of Squad 13 to file into the briefing room. Once everyone has arrived Hachi begins. "We have received orders from HQ for you to sortie."

"Wait, we're fighting already?" Futoshi asks worriedly.

"Don't worry," Nana said with a smile, "You won't be fighting one like you saw the other day. This will be a Conrad-class klaxosaur, the smallest of its kind. It is just a bit smaller than a Franxx."

"That's a relief." Miku sighs.

"You will be deployed to level 8 of a nearby magma mining facility. We aren't sure of their numbers at this time, but it is enough that the automated defenses couldn't handle them," Hachi informs the squad.

"We would have liked to ease you in more gradually, but sadly that won't be the case," Nana finishes. "Also you should know that Strelitzia will not be participating in this mission."

"What about Terraria?" Kyu asks.

"Terraria will be utilized as back up should the need arise." Hachi states. "Ichigo and Goro will have field command, follow their orders and everything will go smoothly. Any questions?" after a brief silence he continues, "Good, all hands prepare to board."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You stand at the briefing room's window overlooking the docking bay as Squad 13 board their Franxx. "Think they are ready?" Kyu asks. "Is anyone ever truly ready before their first time?" you reply. As you talk Delphinium, Argentea, and Genista come online. Chlorophytum however stands motionless, glancing at the display you see that Ikuno's connection isn't close to enough to start the Franxx.

"Code 059," Hachi's voice rings in your ear via the com, "Chlorophytum is a no go, proceed to Terraria." "Yes sir." You reply. Kyu is already looking at you expectantly. "Chlorophytum is a scratch, we're up." "Let's get to it then." She replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A short while later Terraria, Delphinium, Genista, and Argentea are on their way to the mine. "So, what should we expect?" Genista asks. "Well, it will probably be very tight quarters down there," you reply. "My guess right now is that it won't be easy for Genista to line up shots. But this is just a Conrad-class, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Knock'em around a bit, crush the core, go home."

"When we find them stick to the plan," Delphinium adds.

"What exactly is the plan?" questions Argentea.

"Surround it and work together to bring it down," Goro states.

Once you arrive at the mine the other Franxx take a moment to admire. "Look at how massive that hole is!" Zorome exclaims. "How are we going to get down?"

"Those." Terraria says pointing to the large lifts lining the side of the mine shaft. "They are normally used to transport the magma fuel but should be able to hold a Franxx."

"Don't fall, it's a long way down." Delphinium states. Futoshi lets out a sudden scream, Terraria spins drawing her axe. "Where is it?" she demands.

"Uh, sorry." Futoshi replies, "I looked down the hole and got scared."

Terraria sighs, replacing her weapon. "Come on, let's go."

The Franxx each take and individual lift down ending with Terraria. As you board the lift Hachi radios the squad. "Now that you've arrived proceed to level 8. As you should know by now the only way to kill a Klaxosaur is to destroy its core which is essentially its heart. Other attacks can disable it but won't finish the job. To do so you must use your custom magma energy weapons, they are the only things that can pierce the core. Take note that Klaxosaurs are attracted to magma energy reactions, so be quick or you could draw more of them to your position."