Chapter 19- Budding Love

Following the battle of the Gran Crevasse Squad 13 returned to Mistilteinn. The next day a note appeared in the elevator along with a large number of rations. The note stated that Squad 13 was to remain in Mistilteinn until called for their next mission. Food would be delivered once a week via the elevator. Everything else it seemed would be left up to you.

Shortly after you learned that not only was your food in limited supply, but electricity was as well. Because of this everyone was required to use as little power as possible. Thus, most rooms were now lit by the sunlight that came through their windows. The lights were only switched on at night and even then, only for several hours.

Water was another story all together. The ration drops you received had not included any water, so you were now forced to drink from the ponds or streams within Mistilteinn itself. Which wouldn't have been all bad if you hadn't discovered that most of the network of pipes were damaged when the plantation was struck by the large hand.

In order to ensure that there was enough drinkable water you had to check each water source regularly. Unfortunately, when you checked them it turned out several were already unfit to drink because of the damaged bits of plantation rotting in them. Mitsuru had the idea to try purifying the water, which led to the two of you working to try and find a method.

Once you came up with a device to filter the water you tested it on one of the ponds. Sure enough, the water became drinkable. Sadly, this was not the case for all the bodies of water as some were too contaminated for your simple filter. However, you did still need somewhere to bathe and because you boys had used the lake before Goro was quick to suggest it be used again. In separate boy girl shifts of course.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today was the day that you and Hiro had decided Zero Two would begin working with the rest of the squad. In the week since the Battle of the Gran Crevasse she had only worked with you, Hiro, or Kyu when doing the chores.

"What do you mean I can't work with you Darling?" Zero Two whines. "I'm helping Goro out today," Hiro replies, "Besides don't you think you should work with someone else for a bit?" Zero Two turns to Kyu, "What are we doing then?" "I am helping Kokoro with some sewing," Kyu answers, "The boys continue to rip and tear their clothes and if we don't fix them they'll soon be out."

Zero Two huffs, looking to you. "Brother?" she asks, pouting. "Mitsuru and I are working on the water filtration system," you say with a shrug. "But who am I supposed to work with then?" she continues pouting. Zero Two sits beside Hiro on the couch and looks at the floor. Hiro puts his arm around her waist to comfort her. "You could work with one of the others," Hiro offers.

Zero Two is silent for several seconds. "What if they don't want to work with me?" she asks weakly. A sharp intake of breath followed by some sniffles confirms to you that she is starting to cry. "They are all scared of me." "Zero Two, you know that isn't true," Kyu says sweetly, sitting beside her. "Yes, it is," Zero Two whimpers, "I hurt them."

At this time Kokoro and Miku step into the lounge, immediately seeing the crying girl. "No one would want to work with me," Zero Two sobs into Kyu's shoulder. Sadly, this is going about as well as you had expected and judging from the look on Hiro's face he was nearly ready to give in.

When you notice Miku and Kokoro you see sadness on both of their faces. You are positive they heard Zero Two's cry and suddenly you have an idea. You look at the two of them, silently begging one of them to step up and help. They are both timid at first, glancing at each other and whispering.

To your surprise Miku begins to walk toward Kyu and Zero Two. "Zero Two," Miku says laying a hand on her shoulder, "How would you like to work with me today doing the laundry?" Zero Two stops crying and looks up at the red-haired girl. "Really?" she sniffles, as Hiro mouths 'thank you,' to Miku.