Chapter 26- Starting from Scratch

"No! No! No! No!" you cry out in agony. Kyu lies before you, unmoving and unbreathing. You cup her face in your hands. "Kyu say something, anything! Please!" You are only met with silence. Tears stream down your face but you don't care right now, the most important thing in your life is slipping away.

You open her mouth and cover it with your own after taking a deep breath. You exhale trying to force air back into her lungs. You do it once, twice, three times, still no response. You intertwine your hands moving back to her chest.

You place them over her ribs and push in. One, twice, three times. You are rapidly losing your composure as your mind begins to panic. You are having to fight yourself to try and save her. Grief and fear begin to overwhelm you but looking at Kyu, you can't give up.

You continue to alternate between forcing air into her lungs and beating on her chest for the next minute and a half before anguish overtakes you. You fall back against the pilot's seat and cry. Kyu is gone, your whole reason for living has been snuffed out.

Your crying is loud enough that you barely hear what sounds like sniffling. You believe it to be your own, but it doesn't seem to coincide with when you should be making the sound. Silencing yourself for a moment you realize that the sound can't be you.

You throw yourself from your position seated against the pilot's chair back to Kyu's side. Laying your head on her chest once more you listen, begging for a miracle. As you do, you feel the slightest shift in her chest and after that a shallow exhale.

You can't believe it. Kyu is breathing again, you must be delusional. But you remain there for another minute as Kyu's breathing becomes more regular and when you take her wrist you can feel a pulse.

You are once again overtaken by intense feelings, returning to your state of bawling like a child. But these tears are different, and so are the cries for that matter. You call her name and large tears fall from your cheeks, but they are not the cries of anguish you had felt mere minutes ago.

They are tears of joy. Kyu is alive! Your reason to exist is still here!

You hold Kyu close to you for the next several minutes regaining your composure and drinking in the warmth that has returned to her body. After a short while Kyu still hasn't regained consciousness but her breathing and heart rate have remained steady. You know that she surely needs medical attention, but this is when you realize you don't actually know where you are.

You walk to the front of the cockpit and trigger the emergency release on the door. It slides over revealing a dimly lit hall. We must have fallen to the bottom of the Gran Crevasse. Knowing you can't stay here you return to Kyu and take her in your arms.

"Alright Kyu," you say in an exhausted voice. "Let's go home."

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As you walk through the dimly lit hallways is it eerily quiet. Instead of focusing on the lack of light or sound however, you find comfort in listening to the soft sound of Kyu's breathing and the gently beating of her heart. You walk slowly and carefully so as to not wake the angel in your arms.

You continue down the hall for what feels like hours before you find the familiar service elevator you had previously used to enter the Gran Crevasse. You activate the lift and it begins its slow ascent, creaking loudly as it goes.

"(Y/N)?" a voice asks. Looking down you see that Kyu has stirred, likely a result of the noisy elevator. "Hey beautiful," you reply with an enormous smile. "Where are we?" "We are on an elevator leading out of the Gran Crevasse. After that we will go back to the Bird's Nest and see what's going on."