Chapter 23- Boiling Point

You awaken with a throbbing headache staring at the ceiling of an unfamiliar room. A slight rustle within earshot seizes your attention, and when you attempt to investigate, it turns out that nothing is visible on your left side, and that your battered body mostly ignores your commands to stir.

Alright, I can feel pain, so I must be alive, you say to yourself as you take stock of the situation. But, where am I? You attempt to move your head with marginal success shifting it ever so slightly to the right. The subtle clicking of shoes on a hard floor catches your attention and a blurry figure appears above you.

"Kyu?" you ask weakly. "(Y/N)?" her voice replies, causing your heart to nearly beat out of your chest. Your vision clears, and you can now clearly see that it is Kyu standing over you. Her face betrays her worry, and her quivering eyes tell you that she is on the verge of tears. "You're alive," Kyu sobs as a tear falls from her cheek to your own. She kisses you while tears continue to stream from her eyes.

"I thought I lost you, (Y/N)," she says laying her head on your aching chest. "What happened?" you ask. "My left side is all black and I can barely move." Kyu hangs her head, "Do you remember the wedding?" A moment passes as you try to recollect the events of what seemed like a year ago. "Yeah," you answer, after some thought, "It was nice. We danced together, didn't we?"

Kyu slowly nods, gesturing that it was overshadowed by what followed. "And after that?" she presses you. "The 9's," you slowly answer, "Zero Two and I fought them." Kyu sighs."You always have been stupid like that, never stopping to think of what might happen." "So we lost, huh?" you ask. "Really badly," Kyu replies looking off in a direction you can't see.

"Why haven't they done anything with me?" you ask. "You were too badly injured," she answers. "Alpha left you in pretty rough shape. If Ikuno hadn't acted as soon as they left, you would have probably died from blood loss. Thankfully, Dr. Franxx managed to convince Papa and the adults to delay your punishment until after the next mission. They are acting like it will be a big deal."

"My left eye," you inquire, wanting to avoid what she had just mentioned, "Is it swollen or busted?" Kyu sighs positioning herself to sit beside you. "Your left eye is swollen shut, your jaw was dislocated and fractured in three places, they had to set your nose because it was broken, and you have a contusion. Add to that several bruised ribs and hairline fractures in the wrist Zero Two broke. So, you're basically being held together with tape."

"That's all?" you ask with a laugh.

Kyu slaps you. "That isn't funny," she spits, "Do you have any idea how worried I've been, (Y/N)? Every day I have been sick since we got here. You could have died. If I hadn't done something," she chokes up, "Alpha would have killed you before they could stop him." You struggle with this internally for several minutes in silence attempting to recall the fight.

You had taken Eta to the ground with issue. Then you fought Beta and Gamma until they gained the upper hand and pinned you to the ground. At that time Alpha had joined in brutalizing you while Beta and Gamma held you. Finally, Alpha gave you a chance to beg for mercy and you had quite literally spit in his face.

"I'm sorry," you say aloud.

Kyu turns to look at you with tears still in her eyes. "I'm sorry," you say again. "I caused you to worry about me again. I should have just come quietly." Kyu sighs, "I suppose that will have to do for now." "Hey, Kyu," you say cracking a teasing smile. "You know I love you right?"

Kyu pouts, once again looking away. "Aw, come on, say it," you pester her. She maintains her calm demeanor. "I know you want to," you insist. It's obvious she is now fighting back a smile. "I won't shut up until you do." At this point she is covering her mouth to hide her laughter. You begin to sing, "I love Kyu, I love Kyu."