Chapter 20- Learning to Live

Today would be Zero Two's final test. You were more than proud of her progress so far. Over the past two weeks she had worked with everyone in the squad at least once, except for a single blue haired member. Goro, in fact, loved having her assistance and practically begged her to help on Wednesdays when the food was delivered. Her inhuman strength due to the Klaxosaur blood made the task of moving boxes quite easy.

In preparation, you had already talked to Ichigo and she had agreed to working with Zero Two. The two of them would be spending the day visiting the various bodies of water within Mistilteinn and checking them to be sure they were still safe to drink. If they weren't they would be marked on the list for either you or Mitsuru to run through the water filters and then checked again.

That morning you gather in the lounge with Hiro and Kyu to give the horned girl a pep talk.

"Zero Two you'll be fine," Kyu assures her. "But what if she's mean and bosses me around all day?" Zero Two replies with a hint of worry. "I already talked to her Sis," you say, "She will treat you just like she would anyone else in this room." You mentally kick yourself after that statement. Ichigo didn't have the greatest track record with you or Hiro. But to be fair, she and Kyu's relationship was pristine.

Unfortunately, Zero Two seems to think similarly to you. Her eyes quickly flick between the other members of your party. "You can do this," Hiro comforts her, pulling her in for a quick kiss, "I know you can." "For you Darling," Zero Two replies, "I can do anything."

"Good morning everyone," Ichigo says from the door. She already holds the clipboard and pen, making it appear as if she had been waiting for the rest of you to leave. "Zero Two are you ready?" she asks offering a smile. Zero Two looks at each of you once more. Hiro nods reassuringly while you give her a thumbs up and Kyu smiles making a shooing motion. Zero Two seems to mentally prepare herself, taking a deep breath before replying, "Yes."

The three of you watch from the window as the two girls make their way down the dirt path leading away from the house. "Think they will be ok?" Hiro asks. "Of course," you reply, "If they were going to have a problem they'd have had it by now." "If all goes well," Kyu says, "This could be the first step to them becoming friends. She's managed to do it with everyone else." God willing, you think to yourself.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That evening the entire house seemed to be on edge waiting for Zero Two and Ichigo to return. Fortunately, there was something to occupy your time, Mitsuru's haircut.

"Hey Mitsuru, what happened to your hair?" Zorome interrogates him. Mitsuru's hand instinctively goes to his head and he messes with his hair looking uncomfortable. "Zorome," Miku hisses elbowing him. "I think it looks good," Kyu announces. "Who cut it?" Ikuno asks curiously.

"It was, uh," Mitsuru stammers. "I did," Kokoro says sheepishly. All eyes turn to Kokoro who had been sewing quietly. "Where did you learn how?" Goro inquires. "It's a lot like pruning the flowers in the greenhouse," Kokoro replies, "Just cut little pieces with the scissors until it looks right." "You did a good job," Hiro adds.

"Maybe I could use one," you say remembering how long your hair looked in the mirror, "Think you could do it?" "Me too Kokoro," Futoshi says excitedly. Kokoro blushes, "I probably could but it's kind of dark right now."

There is a loud creaking sound as the house's front door opens. It is clear everyone wants to get up and run from the lounge to the atrium to see Zero Two and Ichigo. But instead you all remain seated allowing them to come to you on their own terms.

Several minutes later the pair appear in the doorway. "Why is it so quiet?" Ichigo asks. It is at this point everyone realizes that they had been holding their breath to see if both girls would show. Everybody breathes a sigh of relief as they enter, you and Hiro especially.