Chapter 13- Moving to the Beat

"Ok kids, I've got an announcement," Nana says, "Due to your recent accomplishments, you are to be rewarded." You were just sitting down to dinner before Nana had arrived. Futoshi looked more than slightly disappointed that you had to postpone the food until Nana was finished.

"Tomorrow morning you are to meet in the atrium at 800. You are to wear your dress uniforms and look your best," Nana continues. "Are we going somewhere Nana?" Ichigo asks. "Yes," the red-haired woman replies, "We are going to The City," "The City?" Squad 13 asks, hints of excitement in their voices. "A ceremony will be held at Plantation Parliament HQ," Nana resumes, "Papa values what you've done so far and is awarding each of you a medal."

Nana then turns to you "(Y/N)," she looks to Zero Two, "Zero Two, while we are there I've arranged for the two of you to undergo testing." Your heart immediately sinks, "I hate those tests," Zero Two hisses, "They always make me feel lousy afterward." Zero Two then looks at you, "Besides we've both been fine, so I think we'll pass." "We can't keep putting it off," Nana argues. Zero Two doesn't budge and you are less than enthused about the idea of being poked with more needles. Nana sighs, "Fine, but they will have to be done eventually, remember that." With that Nana exits the room leaving you to continue your meal.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The next morning you gather bright and early in the atrium waiting for Nana to escort you to the city. Zorome is barely able to contain his excitement, "The City, and the Adults," he says to himself. He then grabs Miku by the shoulders, "Miku, we finally get to meet the Adults!" he exclaims shaking her. "Let me go," she grumbles, "You're messing up my uniform."

You struggle with the buttons of your collar, not quite able to thread the small buttons into the holes. "Let me," Kyu offers, reaching for the button. You raise your head giving her more space to work with and within thirty seconds she finishes clasping the buttons.

"Thanks," you grumble, I hate the damn things. Kyu smiles sweetly, "You're welcome," she replies. You notice something shining beneath her cape. Looking closer it's the necklace you'd given her. You stare at it for a moment remembering how worried you were that Papa wouldn't allow you to have it. But he had, even if he wasn't honest with you about everything, at least he did keep his word when it came to presents.

Kyu notices you staring and begins fidgeting with her uniform. "What? Is there something on my uniform?" she asks clearly concerned. "Uh yeah," you reply, "It's a little dot on the shoulder of the cape." Kyu unbuttons her cape and begins to rigorously examine it. Nearby Hiro begins laughing clearly aware that nothing was wrong. You join him and soon most of the Squad is laughing at Kyu's attempt to find the phantom stain.

After a moment Kyu realizes that she is being made the fool and turns beet red. "I hate you," she huffs, abandoning you to stand with Kokoro. You aren't concerned however, she'll come around soon enough. Nana arrives shortly after and takes you to The City.

Squad 13 looks on in wonder as you walk the deserted streets. I've never liked these places, you think to yourself, it's just like Zero Two said, they are nothing but empty shells, lifeless. The off-putting orange glow from the magma energy used to power the city doesn't help your mood. After walking for what felt like far too long you finally arrived at Plantation Parliament HQ. You were quickly ushered inside, and the ceremony began.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"You are the first children to ever be welcomed into the city, and it is truly a great honor," the plantation's leader says from his podium. To his left and right the other members of the plantation's senior leadership watch you with interest. Squad 13 stands at attention on the opposite side of the room. "I hope you look upon this day as a source of pride," he continues, "Live up to this honor, and make even further contributions to the plantation."