Chapter 10 - Vacation

"Well look who decided to show up," Miku jabs as you, Hiro, and Goro enter the briefing room. "Sorry... we're.... late," you pant. After taking a moment to catch your breath you see that everyone else had been waiting for the three of you to arrive.

"Now that you are all here we can begin," Nana says. Nana then proceeds to give the ground rules for your vacation. You listen but don't really comprehend what she is saying instead thinking about how ready for this break you are. "Any questions?" Nana asks, thirty seconds pass in silence, "Alright, then follow me and we will get you underway."

You follow Nana down to the docking bay where one of the doors stands open. You proceed through it stopping just outside. The world around you is teeming with life, trees stand tall, and the chirping of nearby birds can be heard. "Follow that path and it will take you to the beach," Nana says pointing to a dirt trail leading into the trees, "Remember if you need us for anything you can reach us with your communicators, otherwise be careful and have fun kids," Nana says turning and walking back into the plantation.

Squad 13 marvels at the forest as you walk down the path. You have to admit that the sights and sounds are much more vivid than those of Mistilteinn. As you walk you see flowers in full bloom and animals moving in the heavy brush. "It's amazing that despite everything, places like this still exist," Ikuno says. "Yeah, it is," Goro agrees.

After several more minutes of walking you begin to hear the sound of waves crashing. Rounding a bend, you are presented with your first ever view of the ocean. The water is a deep blue and the golden sand stretches at least a half mile in each direction.

"There it is!" Zorome yells sprinting forward, discarding his shirt as he does. "Hey wait for me!" Futoshi exclaims chasing him. Everyone laughs as the boys run into the surf screaming like little kids. You and Goro begin assembling the umbrellas you'd brought with you, placing them in the sand and laying some of the towels below them.

"What are you wearing?" Miku asks looking at you. "What do you mean?" you question, looking down at your clothing. "Those shorts are hideous," she scoffs, "And what are those glasses on your head?" "I don't know, but they block out the sun," you answer. "I think your just upset I have some and you don't," you finish sticking out your tongue. Miku huffs in response as she walks away.

Nearby Kyu removes the shirt she had been wearing over her swimsuit. Having been her partner for over a year piloting the Franxx, seeing her in a parasite suit frequently, and having known her for most of your life, you would have liked to think you were prepared for this moment. Oh how you were wrong.

You stand there enraptured by her as she talks with Kokoro. She smiles while Kokoro speaks then laughs covering her mouth with her hand. Her sky-blue hair sways slightly in the breeze and the warm sun shines on her skin making the view even better. She is the most beautiful thing I've seen in my entire life, you think. Beside you Goro stares intently at Ichigo, his eyes never leaving her form.

You are so enamored by Kyu that you fail to notice as she approaches you. "(Y/N)? (Y/N)?" she asks but you fail to hear. "(Y/N)," she says snapping her fingers. "Huh, what? What do you need?" you stammer returning from your day dream. "You were staring," Kyu says sternly.

"Was I?" you ask placing a hand behind your head, "Well the ocean is beautiful isn't it? It's hard not to stare." Good save, she has no clue. "I know you were staring at me, idiot," she replies. Damn. "What was that Zorome?" you yell, pretending to hear something. "He didn't say," Kyu begins. "Don't worry I'm coming!" you interrupt her, running to join the other boys in the surf. Kyu watches you as you go, she gives a satisfied smile then returns to Miku and Kokoro.