Chapter 30- How to Save a Life

"I know what happened to Zero Two," Hiro states. Standing before you Hiro looks rough. He is drenched in sweat and his hair is a mess. His eyes glow a subtle blue matching the horns on his head.

You take a step outside the door and close it behind you. "(Y/N), didn't you hear me?!" Hiro nearly shouts. "I said I know what happened to Zero Two!" "Keep your voice down," you snap. "Kyu is still asleep."

"(Y/N), I don't think you are listening to me. I know where Zero Two I-" "Yes, I heard you," you say covering his mouth. "But my wife just fell asleep. So, if you don't mind let's have this conversation somewhere else."

Hiro sees the annoyance building in your tired eyes and relinquishes. You lead him to your office and offer him a chair. "I know what happened to her (Y/N)," Hiro begins. "She is stuck in Strelitzia Apus." "Hold up," you stop him. "Two things. First, Zero Two is in the medical wing not Strelitzia. Second, how on earth did you get the idea she was stuck inside it?"

"I figured it out last night after the wedding. I was sitting with her like I always do, and I touched our horns together." You raise an eyebrow. "It's a sign of affection," Hiro defends himself. "Like kissing. At least, I think it is. She did it several times when they were still growing and it always felt like it was."

"So, something happened," you summarize. "Something that hadn't happened before." "Yeah, I saw into her mind," Hiro answers. "Or, I am pretty sure I did. The vision was mostly flashing images but what I saw had to be her." "Care to elaborate?" you ask still unsure of his claims.

"I saw a massive battle going on in space. The Klaxosaurs that we see leaving everyday are fighting VIRM. Zero Two is leading them from Strelitzia Apus."

You sit back in your chair trying to process his theory. From what you had learned reading through the technical documentation for the Franxx and how they worked what he was saying actually made some sense. Dr. Franxx had found that in order for parasites to pilot the Franxx the pistil needed to connect their consciousness to the weapon, just like the Klaxo-sapiens had. Where the Klaxo-sapiens fused with the machines so they could survive for millions of years waiting for VIRM's return, the parasites only needed temporary connections to fight off the Klaxosaurs.

Adding to that the Bird's Nest doctors had told you that Zero Two's brain was missing its higher order functions. The functions that made her, her. Because Strelitzia Apus was the largest Franxx ever made and so much was likely to have been unknown at the time, it was very possible that things didn't go according to plan.

"Alright Hiro," you say standing and walking toward Ikuno, who sleeps peacefully on her cot. "I am going to have Ikuno get Hachi. While she does that, you are going to tell me everything that happened in the cockpit of Strelitzia Apus." Hiro nods.

"Ikuno, wake up," you say while shaking her. "Hm, what?" she mumbles. "Ikuno, I need you to go get Hachi." "Hachi, why?" "We think we may know what happened to Zero Two. We need you and him here to see if we can figure it out." This seems to sober up Ikuno and she immediately grabs her glasses and heads for the door.

You return to your seat and boot up the computer while Hiro begins speaking. "Where do you want me to start?" "Start from the beginning," you tell him. "When you left us to go down into the Gran Crevasse."

"Ok," Hiro gathers his thoughts. "We went down into the Gran Crevasse then made our way to the access point for Strelitzia Apus. For some reason we couldn't get it open and were about to turn back when she showed up." "She?" you ask. "The Klaxosaur Princess," Hiro clarifies. "She had some intertwined snakes that served as her guards but she didn't need them. All she did was wave her hand and Zero Two and I's connection to Strelitzia was broken."