Chapter 27- Guilty Conscious

Hello everyone, ready for another update? Good. I know several of you mentioned that not seeing Hiro or Zero Two in the last chapter was concerning but rest assured they will be seen in this one. You will also notice that things are a bit different than cannon as of several chapters ago. I have a plan for VIRM and I hope that it's resolution something that we all find to be satisfying. Until then, enjoy! Don't forget to leave a comment or review to let me know how you like this new direction :) 

The next morning when you awaken you realize, much to your horror, that you had yet to see Hiro or Zero Two. How could I have forgotten them, you ask yourself. First I was too worried about Kyu to think of anything else. Then I got distracted by my new role as head of Engineering, but how could I let that overshadow them?

This realization worries you even further because you had interacted with the other members of Squad 13 several times over the two days you had been at the Bird's Nest, but even the others hadn't mentioned Hiro or Zero Two. Once you leave Kyu with Kokoro, instead of returning to the office you share with Ikuno, you go off in search of the pair.

You feel guilty as you walk for not immediately looking for them but, remembering Zero Two's words from before the wedding, warning you to look out for other people as well as her, quell the growing feeling. You hadn't forgotten her, you had just been occupied with other things. Kyu was your top priority in life. Zero Two said before she knew that, so she wouldn't blame you, right?

Furthermore, Zero Two was right when she said that you did need to look out for everyone, not just her, but that didn't make it any easier. In fact, when you think about it, you aren't sure you could choose between her and the greater good. Could you really sacrifice her to save someone else, even if it was multiple someones? You dismiss the terrifying thought as you approach the room assigned to Zero Two.

"Sis," you knock. "It's me, your brother." The door remains closed. "Zero Two, are you in there?" No sound comes from inside the room. Alright, you say attempting to calm your rapidly rising nerves. She is probably asleep. Or maybe she is off doing something. You take a deep breath and press the button on the door, which slides open.

The room beyond is dark other than a few rays of light coming from behind the window shades. You step inside but quickly find that the room is in exactly the same condition as the one you are supposed to be staying in, but aren't because of Kyu, empty. She isn't here and there is nothing in the room, god no. Something has to be wrong.

You dig into your pockets with your now shaking hands trying to find your communicator. When you finally succeed close to a minute later you attempt to call Ichigo, believing she would have some idea of what was happening. It takes you three tries but eventually you are able to gain enough control of your trembling hands to place the call.

"(Y/N)," Ichigo answers. "Is there something I can help with?" "Ichigo, where is Zero Two?" you shakily ask. Ichigo is silent on the other end of the line for several seconds, carefully choosing what she is going to tell you. "She is in a private room in the medical wing. Hiro is with her." "I-Is she ok?" "(Y/N), take a deep breath. Zero Two is in a coma. She has been in one since we recovered her and Hiro from Strelitzia."

The communicator falls to the floor. A coma. No, no, this can't be happening! First Kyu gets hurt and now Zero Two is in a coma! I tried everything I could to protect the two of them, you tell yourself. They are my responsibility. How could I have failed them both so miserably?

"(Y/N), (Y/N)!" You can hear Ichigo's shouting coming from your communicator, but it doesn't register. You lackadaisically walk through the still open door while Ichigo continues trying to reach you. You stumble through the halls of the Bird's Nest in a stupor on your way to the medical wing.