Chapter 17- Crime and Punishment

Alright so it seems like everyone took the last chapter pretty well. I am just here for several housekeeping explanations. First, you were introduced to Zero Two about a week after her attempted escape with Hiro. This was done because Dr. Franxx realized that Zero Two had been handled wrong. She didn't need solitude, she needed a companion. You were molded into that companion.

Second, someone asked as to how Zero Two still had the picture book when you met her. The answer is quite simple, her mind was resistant to the low-level wipes she was initially subjected to. She remembered a great deal and only later when it was discovered she still had those memories did she get stronger wipes which lead to her eating the picture book. 

Do remember that the above knowledge is something you as the reader know, but not you as a character. And now on with the show.

You return to Mistilteinn after your visit with Hiro hoping to find Zero Two. When you arrive at the boarding house it's already dark. You find most of the squad gathered in the lounge.

"Where have you been?" Ichigo demands. "I was talking to Hiro," you reply. "Did I say you could?" Ichigo asks. "I am not asking your permission to do every little thing Ichigo," you reply coolly. "I don't want you filling his head with more lies." Ichigo spits, "He will never be with her again. She's nothing but a monster and a freak!"

"Ichigo, how can you say that?" Kokoro asks, "Zero Two surely didn't mean to hurt Hiro." Ichigo shoots Kokoro a deadly glare and she falls silent. "Where is she?" you ask. Goro looks at you clearly uncomfortable with how this is playing out, "She's in her room. She hasn't come out since we told her she wasn't allowed to see Hiro." "I'll be going then," you state walking out.

You go to her room on the third floor and knock, "Zero Two it's me," no response, "Zero Two I just want to talk. I'm the only one here," still nothing. "Zero Two, please, I'm worried about you." You wait for several minutes but the door never opens. You finally sit with your back against the door. You can hear the soft sound of her breathing on the other side. "I will be here when you're ready," you say quietly.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The next morning a special briefing is called. All of Squad 13 is present except for Hiro. Everyone sits in their normal spots except Zero Two who stands at the back looking out over the docking bay.

"You have your next mission," Hachi states, "And it comes directly from HQ. Plantation 13 has been moving toward a certain place for a while. This is your mission," A battle-map appears on screen, at its center is a large circular building labeled, The Gran Crevasse. "You will be tasked with eliminating every Klaxosaur that inhabits this structure."

"Furthermore," Nana continues, "This will be a joint operation involving the 9's and each plantation's Franxx squad." "Wait we are teaming up?" Futoshi asks. Hachi ignores him, "The opening salvo will be 27 hours from now, you'd best be ready. Squad 13 will be part of the Sixth United Company."

"Get it over with already," Zero Two mumbles from the back of the room.

"This will without a doubt be your most difficult mission," Nana resumes but stop seeing Ichigo raise her hand. "Before the mission gets underway, please remove Code 002 from Squad 13," Ichigo asks. You hear a sharp intake of breath from behind you. "Actually," Nana says. Ichigo stands, interrupting her, "If this request is not granted we will have no choice. Squad 13 will not participate in battle. You must understand that this was our decision as a whole. The simple fact is, we can't fight with her anymore."