Chapter 5 - Memories

Hey guys, just wanted to say thank you to everyone! This story has now reached more than 410 views, which is about 400 more than I had expected. I'd also like to thank DitFCodeAlpha for his help prepping each chapter. As always please leave any questions, comments, or concerns below and I will do my best to get back to you. 

You approach Hachi's office, one of two small buildings near the elevator connecting Mistilteinn to Plantation 13. Walking across the bridge you admire the small lake that surrounds the building, fish and frogs swimming within. Arriving at the door to Hachi's office you knock, "Come in," you hear Hachi say. Entering Hachi's office you find it to be quite simple. A desk with two chairs before it and a window in the back. "Please have a seat," he says from behind the desk, Nana stands beside him.

"Sir, what is this about?" you ask.

"You were called here to talk about your performance during yesterday's operation," he states. "Was it not up to standards, sir?" you ask.

"No, in fact it was exactly what we had expected of the two of you," you sigh in relief.

"That being said," Hachi continues, "there is still a matter for us to discuss. When Delphinium froze during the operation, Terraria immediately took charge. Why was that?" Nana asks.

"If someone didn't take command," you reply, "Squad 13 would have likely been overwhelmed. They were down a Franxx, and the two that remained weren't in the best of shape. They needed someone to tell them they would make it out and point them in the right direction."

"We came to a similar conclusion," Hachi states, "Your quick thinking in the mines not only saved Squad 13 but also eliminated a large number of Klaxosaurs. Because of this and your previous position as squad leader for Plantation 39, we have decided to promote you to Second Franxx while you are with Squad 13."

Second Franxx? I certainly wasn't expecting that. Nana begins speaking, "Delphinium will retain her role as squad leader while Terraria will become her second. (Y/N), you will be the lieutenant squad leader. Any questions?"

"No, Ma'am," you reply. As you do the door to the office opens revealing Ichigo.

"You wanted to see me?" Ichigo asks. "Yes," Nana says warmly, "Please take a seat." Ichigo sits in the chair beside you looking nervous. You give her a reassuring smile. "Ichigo we've called you hear to inform you of a change being made to the command structure of the squad." Nana begins. You notice bits of moisture beginning to gather near Ichigo's eyes. "We've decided that because of the additional Franxx Squad 13 is currently hosting that you could use some assistance. As a result (Y/N) is being promoted to lieutenant squad leader to help you fill the role." "I understand, I will do everything I can to help the new squad lead-" Ichigo sniffles before stopping, tears now flowing freely from her eyes. "Did you say lieutenant squad leader?" She asks looking up. "She did." Hachi states, looking uncomfortable after Ichigo's display of emotion.

"We wanted to let you know now that the decision has been made. Be sure to talk with (Y/N) about what it's like to lead a squad. His experience as squad leader for Plantation 39 should be invaluable." Nana continues. Ichigo gasps, turning to look at you. "You were a squad leader?" You nod. "I'm sure there is much for the two of you to talk about." Hachi says "But please do so outside of my office, I have reports to file."

You and Ichigo exit the building before she punches your arm. "Why didn't you tell me you were a squad leader?" she asks clearly annoyed. "Never came up," you reply. "Yeah but it would have been nice to know!" she practically yells. "There are so many things I wanted to know but didn't have anyone to ask. But, now I do. You can teach me!" she proclaims excitedly, all traces of sadness replaced. "Woah Ichigo," you say, "I will gladly help you where I can but don't expect me to have all of the answers," you begin walking toward the boarding house, Ichigo rushes to follow you.