Four

"YOU did a good job, Korea. Now, let's hear the eldest daughter of Africa, Egypt!" Canada exclaimed.

Egypt who wore a big smile on her face stood up and walked infront. "Marhaban. Firstly, I wanted to ask: Have you ever wondered what date today is?"

"Oh, that's one lame question. We have calendars at home," Belize snapped.

Instead of being insulted, Egypt's smile grew wider and she countered, "But have you ever wondered who invented the first one?"

Oh, she has a different style.

"Without me, you wouldn't know the days, weeks, and months of the year. You wouldn't know if this year's a leap year or not, 365 or 366 days, 28 or 29 days in February. You wouldn't know if it's the year of the rat or rooster, ox or tiger. You wouldn't know if it's Halloween or Christmas. You wouldn't know your age and you wouldn't have a date written in your grave," came her long but simple speech.

Egypt has many things to be proud of; her culture, pyramids, deserts and even mummies but she chose to flaunt only one invention she contributed in history - the calendar.

Everyone clapped their hands. "Oh, that was a simple speech, Egypt. As simple as you," Canada remarked.

"You did well, Egypt and I acknowledge that but there's something about your family that confuses me," Switzerland said, meeting Egypt's eyes. "We all knew that Africa is the second family who had many offsprings but where are the others?"

Switzerland was referring to the unoccupied seats in Africa's side. There are only three people who attended the meeting: Egypt, Algeria, and Kenya, compared to other families who got perfect attendance.

Egypt, Algeria and Kenya exchanged glances. "P-Pardon?" Egypt asked, stuttering.

"Why are you only -" Switzerland was about to restate her question when Netherlands cut her off.

"Hey, I think you got into a coma when Africa's family got destroyed by a grim tragedy," Netherlands said, bringing up the topic of the African family's death. His voice sounded like he was mocking Africa's family.

Originally, Africa had 10 children, but 7 of them died, leaving Egypt, Algeria and Kenya. First off, Liberia, Nigeria and Algeria were triplets. When they grew up, Liberia died because of a civil war that has taken place in her colony. A month after that, Nigeria followed because of a strife between the two political factions in her colony.

Secondly, Ethiopia and Eritrea had a bitter feud in which they had to kill each other although they loved each other. The reason for the feud hasn't been known until now.

Thirdly, Congo died at a young age due to tribal fighting.

Fourthly, the cause of Swaziland's death is related to his poor health conditions. He had a heart disease since he was young due to the fact that he was a premature baby, until his body finally gave up.

Zimbabwe's death is the most unforgivable and unforgettable. A violent disagreement between three parties resulted in a political violence and Zimbabwe was blamed for it. His enemies turned their weapons on him, getting ready to fight but he was quick to escape. He was so scared to death that he asked their mother, Africa to drive him to a faraway place. His death was so tragic and horrendous that it took away Africa's life too when they encountered an accident on the road.

There was silence in the court. Deadly silence. No one wanted to talk, for they already heard about the tragic story.

Everyone was astonished when a wail echoed in the four corners of the palace court. It was Algeria.

"I totally repressed that bad memory but you made me remember! I hate you!" she cursed at Switzerland, throwing the glass of water on the floor. "All of you, haughty kids of Europe! I curse you!"

Algeria walked out of the court. She must be too hurt of the tragedy, much more when she lost her twins. Egypt and Kenya followed her.

Canada shakes her head sideways. "Okay guys, that was one hell of a sensitive topic that was opened."

"I'm so sorry, I messed up," Switzerland apologized, almost tearing up.

"Oh no sweetie. You're just curious and unaware. There's nothing wrong with that," Greece consoled her younger sister, kissing her right cheek. They sat back down and UK patted Switzerland's back, trying to give her solace as well.

"Okay guys, take a deep breath. Let's continue the showcase but please be careful this time," Canada said. "So, let's call Europe's eldest child, Russia?"

Philippines smiled. The conference shook up his interest. He's definitely learning so many things from each supremo. Now he knows that everyone have flaws, the thing is how to get over it.

xx

That was the story behind Africa's tragic death.

Thank you so much for reading my book :)

[ Vote. Comment. Share. ]