Eighteen

PHILIPPINES looked up at the woman who was standing before him, her eyes misty. She looked plain, but simplicity for him is beauty. Her long, black hair flowed like the Maria Cristina falls in Laguna. Her eyes are black and round, her skin is kayumanggi. The fact that she came from the skies filled his mind with awe.

Is she an angel?

"You know, India was a good man," the woman said, slowly taking a step towards them.

"Who are you?" Philippines asked.

The woman ignored his question and continued to talk. "He was kind enough to impart his philosophies in life and love to his people. He was the inspiration of many. He touched hardened hearts and helped people to stand again. His charity, deeds, and legacy shall be alive forever."

"Who are you?" Philippines repeated.

The woman, who was a mere inches away from him looked deep into his eyes and softly said, "I'm your mother."

Philippines' heart skipped a beat. His mind replayed the event in the past when he was still a kid, playing with the others in the lawn of the orphanage. They were running, chasing after each other when he slipped on the rocky ground. He got scratches on his knees and it bled. At that time, Nanny Venus was on a vacation to Hongkong so he cured himself. Inside his room, while rubbing the alcohol on his wounded knee, he thought: If only I have my biological mother, then I'll never be alone like this.

Now that his mother is here, standing in front of him, the first thing he felt is deep longing. "Mother, why did you leave me?" he asked, his voice about to crack.

His mother closed the gap between them. She held India and positioned him straight on the ground. Then, she cupped Philippines' face. "I miss you my youngest son," she said and wrapped her arms around him. She cried and Philippines hugged her back. He finally felt the embrace of his own mother who he missed so much.

A few minutes later, his mother pulled away from the hug. "I've got so many things to say to you, my son. But first, let's keep India's body so his soul can rest in peace," she said.

She held India and kissed his forehead. She closed her eyes and said a foreign prayer. As she was praying, India's body rose up in the air.

Philippines gasped. I'm seeing too many things tonight.

At that moment, he saw his mother dancing while singing in a foreign language. She was holding yellow leaves with both hands.

"Goodbye my eldest son. May your soul be at peace." Saying that, India's body sparkled and turned into ashes. The ashes huddled together in the air and a small, white urn appeared, sipping the particles. The urn flew in his mother's hands and she gripped it tightly to her chest.

Philippines sealed his mother in a big hug once again and she kissed his head.

"Are you Asia?" Philippines asked her.

xx

Rest in peace India :)

[ Vote. Comment. Share. ]