Chapter 4

I have chosen Matthew Noszka to play Xavier! Who knows, maybe he'll be introduced in this chapter. 😉 Obviously you can imagine whoever you'd like.

************************************

I ran out the doors of the hotel, looking for a way out as fear fueled my movements. I could hear the echo of Mr. Parlins' laugh as he watched me run from the entrance.

"You can't get that far sweetheart. I have men everywhere."

I didn't spare a glance to the man as a shiver ran through me. He always called me that along with Roger. Sweetheart. He told me I didn't deserve a name, I was just a body to be used and I didn't need to know his first name either; I wasn't worthy enough to know it. Mr. Parlins was all I'd ever known.

I came to a stop as I took in my surroundings, my chest heaving from the exercise. There was an old coffee shop across the street and a forest to my left. A group of men were coming from the hotel behind me. If I wanted a chance, I'd have to go through the forest. Any doubts I had about venturing into the trees quickly left my mind as I watched one of his men pull a gun from the back of his pants.

My breath caught as I continued to look at him, lifting it in my direction. My mind screamed to run but my body was at a standstill. I snapped out of it as a bullet grazed my arm, lifting the skin with it.

My mind took control of my body, survival it's main drive. I ran into the forest as fast as I possibly could, holding my bleeding arm.

Luck was not on my side as I began to run into the twig littered grass. My clumsy ass would be lucky not to fall in this chase.

They were gaining on me, flanking me on each side as I began to slow. My body was not equipped for this kind of exercise, I'll be lucky to go another five minutes.

My vision began to blur with tears as I came to this realization. Any freedom I had in my grasp was quickly falling away from me. I'd go back to my old life, used by a revolving door of men.

No. No. My mind was screaming at me to keep going, give it one last chance. Something was coming that was going to help. Keep me alive.

And I believed it.

I blinked away the tears and ignored my laboured breathing as I examined my surroundings once again. There were six men covering me all sending looks my way like I was their prey. I shuddered at the thought of this game of cat and mouse.

If I wanted a chance I would have to lose them. Looking to the left, I spotted a river. I was small enough that I could probably get across it easier than these burly men. I didn't have much to lose at this point, so I decided to go for it.

Pushing my body with the last bits of strength I had, I made a sharp turn to the river. A foreign, almost animalistic noise resonated behind me, signaling this was an unexpected move. In my frantic state I hardly registered the growl.

I got to the bank and with all I had, jumped across the water. I closed my eyes unwilling to see my fate as the wind whooshed around my form, throwing my hair around.

My eyes jolted open in surprise as my feet made contact with the hard ground, stumbling a bit from the momentum. I didn't have much time to celebrate as the men were still onto me. But at least this gave me a chance to branch off from them; have a chance to survive.

I made a sharp right, dodging the trees as only one of the men had made it across. I had no clue where I was going but I was determined to lose these men and worry about my whereabouts later.

The men were so behind by now that they wouldn't be able to see me. I decided to take shelter, hiding behind the large tree in front of me to my left.

My back met the rough bark of the tree as I attempted to control my sporadic breathing. I've never done this much exercise in my life and it was clearly taking its toll.

My breathing started to level as did my head as the minutes passed by. It sounded as if they were running in a different direction than I, but they were for sure still looking for me.

The noises they were emitting were odd. Almost inhuman. How?

Assuming they were going in the wrong direction, I decided to take my chances and start off so they had less of a chance to catch me. I didn't want to remain in the same spot if they thought to track their way back to look for me. My adrenaline was still pumping giving me the courage to keep moving.

However, my luck was low.

As I turned around, I came face to face with a man. Anger covered his features but as our eyes connected, it quickly turned to confusion.

"What are you doing on my property?"

At the sound of his voice, my strong façade broke. The fact that I had been caught was the last straw for my not-so strong façade that I was hoping to maintain. But I was weak. His words barely registered in my mind as tears welted in my eyes. "Please. Don't bring me back to them. Don't tell the others I'm here. I can't go back to those monsters." My voice barely a whisper as I finished my sentence, my eyes focused on the green forest floor.

"What are you talking about? Just tell me why you're on my land, rogue." He ground out, the anger quickly building in his demeanour.

It was my turn to look confused as I gazed at him. "Wait, what? You're not one of his men? And what's a rogue?"

An irritated look passed over his face as he smelt the air. What is this crazy man doing? Absolutely beautiful, but crazy.

His eye widened a fraction as if he came to a realization. "Give me your hand." He reached his out waiting for mine. I began to reach out when I was jolted from my reverie, my arm falling limp.

What was I doing? Fear began to course through me as I pressed my back into the tree once again. I'm never comfortable with people, especially ones built like the man stood before me. But somehow this one put me under a spell. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I shook my head in fear as anger began to radiate off of him. "I said, give me your hand."

"Please don't touch me." I whispered as my gaze fell to the ground. The thought of being violated for the umpteenth time in my life triggered a whirlwind of emotions; the largest one being vulnerability.

A deep rumble erupted from his chest as he took long strides toward me, causing me to cry out and push my body harder into the tree. "Please your scaring me." My voice was barely above a cracked whisper now. I felt my knees begin to weaken as my breathing once again became scarce, my anxiety clogging my airways. Dark spots began to cloud my vision as he breached my comfort levels.

This didn't seem to register with him as he came closer, a scowl present on his features.

The last thing I felt were the sparks as his hand came in contact with mine. Then the world was black.

************************************

This was my favourite chapter to write so far! I hope you liked their meeting, I did. This is definitely the longest chapter so far.

There will be more of Xavier and Anna in the next chapter! Do they need a ship name? Please give your ideas.

Thanks for reading and if you enjoyed it please leave me a comment giving your thoughts, good or bad. I hope you've had a good day!

Next update will be on Thursday!

xx kerfuffled_