Chapter 18

"How did this happen?" Andrea questioned as she threw a disapproving look towards her son who occupied the chair left of me. My face flushed hot as I averted my gaze. I didn't want to admit my foolish act to her after she clearly told me to stay off of my feet. I couldn't help it though; I perceived danger and my fight-or-flight kicked in. These days I was always choosing the latter.

Xavier's eyes seared into the side of my head as he watched my reaction. As silence filled the space between us minus the sound of Andrea working away on my wound, Xavier decided to speak for us. "Anna was frightened by our live-in nutcase. He came bursting into my office while we were in there despite my order to stay away."

Without missing a beat, recognition crossed Andrea's face as she nodded. "Oh, yes that makes sense. Mason never really knew how to make a clean entrance. God bless that mate of his."

My lips titled upwards at the slight banter between the two. They seemed to fully understand one another even with the omission of talking. The relationship Xavier had with his mother was one I would never get to have. Hell, you could say I barely even had one. The thought of my parents dragged me down with thoughts of the possibilities filling my head. What if they managed to find me? Would Xavier hand me off to them without a second thought or does he truly care about me?

"Are you alright, Sunshine? You look trapped in that pretty little head of yours." Xavier's eyebrows were furrowed while his eyes bore into mine, almost like he thought if he focused hard enough he could peer inside and figure me out.

I gave a simple nod in return in hopes of glazing over the subject, a subtle blush covering my face. Drifting my eyes back to Andrea, she was almost finished fixing up my wound as she began wrapping a fresh strip of bandage around it. Clearing my throat to grab her attention I asked, "So what is the verdict? Did I make it worse?"

Sighing, Andrea placed the finishing touches on her perfectly done wrapping. "Well it doesn't look like there is any extra damage. You're lucky that you didn't manage to rip the stitches or else we would be back to square one. It will be a little more sore than it was but other then that I believe it will heal just fine."

An exhale was released from beside me as Xavier ran his hand through his hair. "Thank god. Mason would've been a dead man walking otherwise."

My eyes became saucers at the threat before turning to examine the man beside me. As my lips parted in question, Xavier's did the same. "What? I don't care if he's my best friend and Beta. If he hurt you he would pay, you are his Luna after all."

My eyes narrowed at his words, unsure by what he meant. He had mentioned a Luna before when explaining their background but I wasn't entirely sure what it was still. While thoughts churned around my head Andrea released a scoff as she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah right. He may have scared her but you know it was unintentional. You would smack him up the side of the head before calling it a day." She chuckled under her breath as she muttered Xavier's words of him being a dead man walking. "You two have been best friends since diapers there's no way you would kill him."

I turned my eyes to the man beside me who was rolling his own, clearly unimpressed. A huff escaped him before he turned to me but I didn't fail to miss the slight upturn of his lips sent his mother's way. "Are you alright? I know that wasn't pleasant for you but I asked everyone to stay away until you are ready to meet everyone, so it won't happen again."

I could feel my heart rate elevate slightly at the prospect of meeting so many. I didn't understand why I needed to meet all of them anyway. I was just the girl who stumbled upon their land and managed to find a mate in the process. What was the big deal? "I need to meet everyone?"