Chapter 11

I tensed upon registering the words he spoke. Did he just say that he was the Alpha? The one I just vowed to stay as far away as possible from? My heart rate monitor gradually increased with its beeping as my brain went into overload, however my eyes remained on his still figure.

This means that Xavier held extreme power and strength. And not even an extremely powerful human, but a werewolf which increased my fear tenfold. On top of this, he has two hundred werewolves on his side that will follow his command. What if I angered him or stepped out of line? Would he send some of his werewolves to hurt me?

I shuddered and tightened my arms around my legs, seeing flashbacks of the punishments I'd receive from my parents. He could end up doing what my parents did when they believed I did something wrong; use their friends to hurt me. Of course I never truly deserved the punishment as it would be for something as simple as forgetting supplies from the grocery store or telling me I've stepped out of line with my way of talking to them. Considering I barely talked around them, I'm unsure as to how they came to this conclusion.

When it came to my punishments, it involved the customers they had. Some were regulars and some they would purposely hunt for at bars the afternoon before. They would allow these men to use me, one after another for free. These nights would drag on for hours and I wouldn't get a break in between each customer. Some were drunk off their asses whereas others would be sickeningly sober, willing to assault me for their pleasure.

My parents would tell me this was the perfect punishment to show me just how worthless I was and that men would only be capable of loving me for one night of sex.

I was unaware of how deep I was in my memories, not feeling the tears streaming down my face until I snapped out of it. Xavier had come closer however, looking conflicted on what to do as he knew how jumpy I was. "What's wrong, Sunshine?"

The nickname escaped me as he walked closer, slowly lifting his thumb to wipe away my tears. I felt trapped in place as his thumb left a streak of sparks on my skin.

The shock broke me from whatever spell I was under and I pulled back from his hand. Recollecting my thoughts, I tried to return to the topic at hand softly asking, "How do I know you won't hurt me?"

Hurt flashed across his features before he placed himself in the visitor chair once again, his large form just fitting. "Look, just because I'm an Alpha werewolf doesn't mean I will treat you any differently. Our species does not frown upon humans and you were never brought here to be treated as anything but equal. I promise you will never be hurt within my pack, emotionally or physically because I won't allow it." The thought of me getting hurt seemed to pain him as he struggled with saying the words. A low growl escaped him as he looked to be in deep thought which surprisingly provided me with a blanket of comfort. "If anyone dares to hurt you they'll have to face me."

Despite the clear threat he just spoke I was aware it was not directed at me, allowing me to stay calm.

Even though I felt like I wanted to believe him, words were just that. Words. My parents promised many things when I was a young child and look where that got me. Unless he could provide me with something to prove his words were true, I was going to have a hard time believing him. "How do I know I can trust you and what you say? I thought I had begun to learn about you and it turns out you're a- a werewolf."

He nearly grimaced as he took in my conflicted expression. Something made me want to believe him, I really did however my past just wouldn't allow that to happen. Not without a valid reason to begin trusting him.

Now it was his turn to look conflicted as he appeared to struggle with a reply. Xavier was clearly debating on what to tell me leaving me to ponder on what he would reveal. After several minutes and sighs had passed he began his explanation.

"Let me tell you more about werewolves. For us, we live a different lifestyle than humans. We were all formed from one creator who we call the Moon Goddess. She is worshiped by all and is almost like the humans' God but for werewolves. With the Moon Goddess, she realized how lonely the first of her people were. The humans refused to live peacefully among the werewolves and they were not allowed to be in a relationship with a human or the humans would riot against the couple, possibly go as far as killing them. The Moon Goddess was distraught by this realization as her creations could not find happiness in their way of life. So, the Moon Goddess decided to take matters into her own hands and began splitting a soul between two werewolves or a werewolf and a human. Without one another they would never truly be complete, but with one another, their half souls could become one. How they were meant to be.

"Now with their mates by their side, werewolves were capable of being truly happy as they had found their soulmate. The second their eyes connected they would know that they were destined for one another. On top of this, sparks erupted whenever they touched one another, insuring the bond was there. The only downfall is that with human mates they do not recognize their mate from eye contact. The werewolf must gain their trust in the human way of dating or create physical contact with the human so they feel the sparks of the bond."

Once he finally stopped rambling he appeared to be anxious about something as he looked at me. Personally I was sitting there with my mouth slightly open, shocked by what I was just told. It was clear to me that werewolf history was a lot more complicated than us humans. A part of me ached as I realized he most likely had a mate already. I was unsure as to why that would hurt me as I barely trusted him. Why would I care? On top of this, while it was cool to learn about werewolves I was still questioning what all of it had to do with me and why I should trust him.

I allowed my face to display my feelings of confusion. "But what does that all have to do with me?"

His face morphed into nervousness as he began to chew on his lower lip. This was shocking to me as in the past couple of weeks he was always either happy or in a mood; never had I seen this overly large, well wolf, this nervous. This confirmed that his next words would be shocking. His right hand flew to his hair as he ran it through his locks almost in an act to calm his nerves. It was almost cute. Wait, what?

"Well um, you see..." he stuttered out, "Because it's you. You're my mate."

And my jaw dropped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So this is chapter 11 guys! I hope you enjoyed it. Please let me know how you feel about it I'm a little unsure about this one. Is it good or bad? I would really appreciate your thoughts as I would love to improve the book and my writing in general!

Also I have an update related question for you! Would you prefer I updated this book on a schedule or just a certain amount of times a week? Every other day or more like 3 times a week? Please let me know!

Anyway stay safe and healthy ❤️

xx kerfuffled_