Chapter 14

I was in a deep slumber as I laid nestled in Xavier's sheets. I never planned to fall asleep after Andrea finished bandaging my wound but she insisted I rest where I was. Truthfully, much to my chagrin the scent of Xavier enveloped my senses in relaxation, dragging me into the depths of darkness. The fact that his scent alone could aid my usually restless sleep resembled the connection and power mates had together. Just the thought of such a connection with a man like himself scared me. 

I was awoken by the movement of weight shifting on the bed which caused my body to roll slightly in that direction. My eyes shot open, unaware of who could be present and in the bed nonetheless. The room was filled with the darkness of the night except for the moonlight streaming through the window. I had no idea I had fallen asleep for so long considering Andrea left me around five in the afternoon. 

As my eyes adjusted to their surroundings I located the possible assailant. My rising panic came to a halt as I took in the features of Xavier. A sigh of relief escaped me, however I proceed to curl in on myself and push myself up into the pillows, unsure of his motives to be in here. 

Xavier, who had finally realized I was awake after being stuck in thought as he stared in my direction, quickly held his hands in surrender admitting, "You're okay, Anna. I am not here to do anything to you." His face was illuminated by the moon, showing him to be relaxed with sincerity shining in his bright blue eyes.

I allowed myself to stay still and attempted to relax despite my mind remaining on high alert. Whatever it was I had with Xavier seemed to be important to him, to his community. Even though it was going to take a while for me to get used to him I wanted to try. I needed to try, not only for them but for me. I nodded at him to signal I agreed with his statement. Deciding to be brave, I racked my brain for something to ask him, anything to start the conversation even though I still wanted to hide. But in life, the hardest things were the ones most worth it. So I would try. "Um," I stuttered out. "How long have you been watching me?"

On the inside I was facepalming at my lack of conversation skills. Good going Anna. Make him think he's a stalker. 

At this, Xavier quickly diverted his gaze from mine as his face flushed red. My eyes widened as I watched his reaction, eliciting a happiness within I couldn't describe or understand. He cleared his throat as he moved his eyes to the window, struggling to form an answer. "Just a few minutes." His head lowered as did his voice at his next sentence, bringing his hand up to his hair nervously. He whispered out, "Or almost an hour."

I had a feeling I wasn't supposed to hear that as he cleared his throat again in attempt to divert the conversation. A small smile graced my face at hearing his admission. If anyone else would have admitted that I would've ran for the hills. With Xavier it was almost comforting to know he watched over me as I slept, despite knowing he could have taken advantage of me if he wanted to. That caused the smile to slip but I reminded myself to remain calm and try to talk to him.

"How's your leg doing? I hope my mother didn't push you too far while she worked on it. She can be quite the talker." Concern was evident in his tone, once again eliciting emotions I did not recognize. It almost made me feel warm but also highly uncomfortable.

"Good." I softly spoke. "Your mom said I would have to stay off my feet and in bed for the next couple of weeks until it heals."

A soft growl escaped Xavier. "I'm aware. I'm still not happy about the fact rogues got a hold of you in the first place. I should have noticed earlier that you were gone." His displeased expression was replaced in moments as a thought appeared to occur within him as he showed an excited, boyish grin. "But look at the bright side."

I was confused at his reaction, my eyebrows drawing together as I frowned. He thought there was a bright side to me almost getting eaten by a werewolf? I was dumbfounded. Doesn't this contradict what he just said? "What?"