Chapter 9

The birds chirped as I passed by, singing their daily song in tune with the crickets. Andrea told me I was allowed to go for a walk as long as I told Xavier. However when I went to visit him, he was busy on the phone yelling at the person on the other end and I wasn't looking to get the brunt of it so I simply left. Not much would happen in the woods anyway, from what I knew it was pretty secluded out here.

I had been here for three weeks now and I was beginning to have faith in Xavier and his family despite my trust issues. I felt at home with them. Andrea had become a mother to me in a short period of time which was something I was grateful for. I was still hesitant with Carter and Xavier, though I wouldn't flinch at their every move and the fear that used to consume me had seemed to lessen greatly, so that's definitely an improvement.

I had been walking for a while now, finding peace in the outdoors. It was so quiet out here and nobody was around, calming my nerves.

A small gasp escaped me as I stumbled upon a clearing. It was absolutely breathtaking. A crystal clear waterfall was directly ahead of me, water cascading down the rocks to the pond below it. Large willow trees surrounded the base providing shade for the moss to grow.

I climbed up the rocks and sat down on the second highest one, admiring the nature. This was the perfect place to think and let loose with no one to worry about.

What was I going to do? Xavier has been pressing for more answers but I refused every time. I can tell he's getting frustrated but I just couldn't tell them. What if they found out and decided to kick me out? Or worse, do the same as my parents did?

As much as I hated to admit it, Xavier was beginning to grow on me. For some reason, every time I tried to keep myself closed off from him I found myself blabbering on and on to the questions he asked. It's like the second he came near me my brain became alert but my body did the exact opposite. And the longer I was in that house with him the more I found myself wanting to be around him.

And that scared me more than anything.

I didn't want to be hurt again. I couldn't handle my heart being smashed into pieces again just because I put trust in the wrong people. But I found that the more I resisted, the more I thought about Xavier.

My reverie was disrupted as the sound of a tree branch snapping echoed through the clearing. Nobody could be here, right? Andrea said it was private property so the chance of someone being out here was low.

Fear crept in as another sound resonated closer to my location. There had to be something or someone out there. My eyes widened as I came to a realization. What if it's my family? Or Roger? He did say he would find me first.

My heart rate increased along with my breathing as I grasped the cool rock beneath me, looking for support. If it was my family, then it was game over. I didn't know who Xavier and his family were but so far I knew they were a hell of a lot better than mine. He would be my only hope for a new life. Maybe Xavier's family was my new life.

I barely knew him and I was sure as hell still fearful of him but there was a connection between us. I had no idea what that meant but I did know that it was there. And maybe, just maybe, that was worth fighting for.

My eyes widened as I spotted the threat. Three wolves were stalking towards me, growling like I was their prey. Except they were no ordinary wolves. Their eyes glowed a bright, blood red as they pierced into mine.

I got up on wobbly feet as I attempted to get away from them but it just increased their intrigue as I clumsily fumbled my way down the rock. My eyes blurred as they filled with tears. At least I would die at the hands of some blood thirsty wolves and not my family.