Chapter 12

I immediately adverted my gaze from Xavier's as my brain fought to process this information. I was dumbfounded by his revelation, causing a wave of emotions to wash over me. There was no way I was his mate. I may not know much about werewolves but he just claimed to be the most powerful member of his pack. There's no way he would be stuck with someone like me. I was a weak human with a rough past, one they still have not received. After learning about my past they might decide they are too disgusted to see me and remove me from their lives altogether. 

Realizing that my mouth still hung open at his proclamation I abruptly closed it, turning my head from him as a blush rose on my face. Without looking at him I whispered, "Are you sure? I don't think I'm exactly mate material. Especially for someone like you."

A low but fierce growl escaped Xavier as his body became tense. He leaned closer to the bed, his knees now in contact with the side of it as his face came into my eyesight. His face appeared calm but his eyes screamed anger, worry and fear all at the same time. "Oh, I am more than sure Anna. I knew from the moment I laid eyes on you. Make no mistake, the Moon Goddess doesn't pair mates that would not work together and I am more than confident you are meant to be mine." The anger simmered out of his eyes as well as his tone, but the worry remained as he settled a hand on top of mine. Despite the anxiety creeping up inside of me I let him keep it there, not wanting to upset him in any way. "What would make you think you aren't worthy of being my mate?"

His words were comforting in a way even though I was still unsure if I believed them. The question made me uncomfortable as the reasons all correlated directly to my past. It was my parents. They had been implementing shreds of self-doubt in my mind for years on end, ranging from my personality to my ability to be loved. After all, if your parents can't even love you who would? 

I gently pulled my hand back from under his and he let me. I wrapped my arms back around myself but held eye contact in hopes that he would be able to read how uncomfortable I was. Over the past couple of weeks I had begun to trust the West family as they have been nothing but kind, except for a few questionable moments with Xavier and his anger. I almost had a sliver of hope that they wouldn't turn out like my parents. If what Xavier claimed was true there may actually be a chance of it happening.

Xavier looked like he wanted to push the subject however he backed off, scooting back to his original position in the seat. "I'm not aiming to make you uncomfortable, Anna. I just want to learn more about your past in order to help you recover from it. Eventually we'll have to talk about it." 

I simply nodded in reply, unable to form any sentences. I didn't know what to say to his statement as I wasn't even sure I'd be capable of talking about my past. At least not without having a mental breakdown.

After a few minutes of silence between us had passed, Xavier stood up from the chair while adjusting his shirt. I placed my curious gaze on him, wondering where he was going. I had surprisingly grown comfortable in the presence of Xavier and didn't mind him sitting with me. He walked to the edge of the hospital bed before turning and announcing he was going to get the pack doctor. 

I simply nodded again not fully registering the words he spoke. It wasn't until Xavier had left the room that it occurred to me another person was going to be in here, nonetheless a pure stranger. It didn't sit well with me that a stranger would be poking and prodding at my injuries and I could only hope they would not return as my heart rate began increasing in tune with my anxiety. 

Time seemed to slow as I attempted to slow my breathing, minutes feeling like hours. If it was a man I was not going to be able to contain myself. The prospect did not provide comfort as I thought of allowing him to handle my injured leg. What if he took advantage of the opportunity and caused more damage? Or decided to assault me in my weakened state? It wouldn't be the first time.

When Xavier returned smiling with the male doctor in tow, it quickly dropped off of his face at the scene in front of him. There I was in a fetal position, mid-panic attack, rocking back-and-forth despite the fact he left me just ten minutes before in a calmed state. 

The doctor began to rush forward, however it caused me to freak out even more. I began to push my body to the other side of the hospital bed, uncaring of the possible consequences of my actions. The doctors eyes widened as he rushed his steps, his mouth moving but in my frantic state I couldn't hear a thing. I continued pushing across the bed despite the frantic looks on both Xavier and the doctors faces, a ringing filling my ears and blocking out all other noises. 

I closed my eyes to blink away the forming tears however this was the largest mistake. As my eyes were closed and my ears clogged I failed to realize the fact that I had come to the edge of the bed. As I panicked I thought nothing of the lack of fabric underneath my fingers and continued pushing with my one good leg.

And I fell.

As I felt the air whoosh around my torso I realized my mistake. At least I wouldn't be falling too far I thought, though it may not feel very good on my leg. I allowed a shriek to exit my lips as I began to process what I got myself into, bracing my body for impact.

However, it never came as I landed with a light oomph into a pair of arms. Xavier had used his speed to rush to my side of the bed, catching me mid-air. His toned and firm arms were wrapped around my legs and shoulders, almost holding me bridal style. This seemed to knock me out of my crazed state as I gazed up to Xavier's face which held concern but also relief as he was able to catch me in time.

I calmed down as I stared into his eyes, finding comfort in his ocean coloured irises. My chest was heaving as I began to relax in his grasp, however, as I noticed the doctor coming to our side of the bed, all of my panic quickly returned. 

Noticing that I was beginning to freak out once again, Xavier looked for the source and let out a warning growl that stopped the doctor in his tracks. And I did something that surprised us all.

Turning my upper torso I wrapped my hands around Xavier's neck, using them to pull him closer. I found solace as I buried my head into his neck, blocking my vision from the male doctor. Even I was surprised by my actions but I felt like instinct was driving me to find relief for my distress in Xavier given the close proximity we already had. My fear of him was blocked as my mind was so cluttered and I could not find relief.

 As my breaths came out in short pants across his skin he shivered and tightened his hold on my body. Xavier turned his head to the doctor who was still frozen in his place. He excused the doctor who quickly scurried from the room, bowing his head as he went. 

The room was filled with nothing but the sound of my lapsed breathing and small sniffles. Xavier settled himself on the ground from his crouched position with me in his lap. As the minutes passed, he simply held me without uttering a word.

And much to my surprise, that's all I needed to calm down. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is it for Chapter 12, I hope you all enjoyed! Xavier finally told Anna they were mates and that he is a werewolf and she took the news really well. On top of this Xavier and Anna made some progress as she allowed him to hold her and actually initiated some of the contact!! I'm like a proud mom lol. I hope no one thinks she is allowing him to touch her too fast but it is due to the mate bond that she instinctively found comfort within Xavier during her fear and panic attack with the doctor. (I'm editing rn and I literally love this chapter awwwww this was so cute!)

Anyway I hope you liked this chapter, feel free to leave a comment about how you felt about it, good or bad I would love to receive some constructive criticism! If you have any thoughts on where you would like to see it go next feel free to let me know as I would love to hear it!

I hope everyone stays safe and healthy during these times. Thanks for reading!

xx kerfuffled_