Chapter 23

Bronx in my arms I ran to the closest animal. We ran up to some beautiful birds. They looked exotic with their red and green colors on them. Flying back and forth in their environment, paying little to no attention to the eager viewers.

"Do you see that one hanging upside down?" I pointed to a bird on a branch. Bronx followed the direction that I was pointing and immediately busted out in laughter.

"It looks so silly!" He grabbed at his stomach as he threw his head back, he was really amused be this little creature. It was amazing how much kids are intrigued by something so simple, so insignificant to the world that it makes it significant.

I let the squirmy kid slide down my body so he could touch his feet on the ground. I figured he would want to walk around, considering he is constantly in his dads arms. He stretched out his limbs before he kept trudging on his path throughout the zoo.

"Come on! Lets go find some lions!" Bronx grabbed my hand and started running. I quickly turned behind me grabbing Pete's hand, so we didn't abandon him. We weaved in and out through each couple or family, just so we could find one particular animal.

We were running until I almost trampled over Bronx because he skidded to a halt so fast. I felt like one of those cartoon characters where you can see smoke come out from under their feet. Pete had to hold onto my arm so he didn't fall on top of both of us.
"Hey kiddo, could you do us a favor and give us a warning when you stop next time," Pete laughed pulling Bronx close to him and giving him a hug. "We almost killed you."

"Sorry daddy and Paige." He blushed a little and grabbed his dads hand.

You could here the "ooh's" and "ah's" coming from the crowd. We watched as the mom played with her little cubs, rolling around in the powdery dirt, catching it in their fur. They were so cute and I wanted to go in there and let them, but odds are I'd be eaten alive if I did that, so I stayed content with myself pressed against the glass surrounding the wild life.

"Can we have one daddy?" The little kid pushed his curly hair behind his ears as he looked up to give his dad those puppy dog eyes, and make his lip quiver as if he was going to cry.

"You can have a stuffed one." Pete laughed out, making a few people turn around and give us dirty looks. The curly head kid put his head down as soon as he got the answer and slumped his shoulders over his torso.

*******
Pete's POV

"Hey babe, I'm going to go find a bathroom." Paige leaned in and kissed my cheek. "Okay, I'll have my phone on me if you get lost." I replied back to her and she just nodded her head.

The little guy and I walked to the surrounding animals.

Bronx begged for me to buy some more of the exotic animals, and every time he was not pleased with the answer. He reached in and pet a zebra which made him very happy.

We waited at a bench for Paige, but she was taking forever. I don't know what is taking her so long? I watched as Bronx ran in circles trying to go as fast as he could, almost running into every passing person.

I felt vibrations in my pocket and I leaned back so I could pull out my phone. I looked at the number and it said that it was from Paige.

"Hey Paige." I answered the phone and heard some mumbling voices and sounds of screaming. I pulled the phone away from my ear to see if I had poor signal, but it was perfect. "You there Paige?" I still didn't get an answer. I didn't want to hang up the phone so I just sat on for a little longer, I felt my heart begin to race. Is something wrong? I don't know where she is. "Paige!" I screamed into the phone ignoring the glances from other people.

"What?! Gosh sorry, there were kids screaming and I was trying to get away from it."

"Oh okay, it's fine," I sighed out I relieve "We are waiting for you at a the bench by the lions."

"Okay, I'll be there soon." I heard a click and the call was ended. I put my phone in my pocket.

"Bronx come on, we're about to leave." I turned around towards the cage he was at and found it vacant. I turned a little, then a little more. I couldn't find my little kid. "Bronx?"

I started to feel dizzy. I walked from one end of the zoo to the other. I started running towards other cages and still found no sight of him. I found my way back to the bench and looked around. I kept spinning in circles mumbling his name. I felt sick. What did I do? I was too caught up in the phone call.

I knelt down on the ground and felt my skin start to get hot. I tried to calm myself down. I can't find him, he's gone. I shot up and turned around fast and ran smack into Paige, she looked at me very concerned and started talking. I could make out what she was saying, the adrenaline was pumping throughout my body and I didn't have time to listen.

*******
Thanks for reading every one, thank you to a very amazing reader; @the_infinite_author. Keep voting and reading.

I will be gone for a while because I'm driving up to St. Louis to go to Monumentour. xD I'll be back in a week. I'll miss you all! <3

~Faith!