40-grown ups

Edited

I open my locker to put my bag in when Tara stands next to me.

"We have our first grad meeting today." She notifies me as Liam shows up by her side.

"Already?" I ask knowing that it's a bit early to be thinking about graduation. It's only October. Sure, September has flown by, but it always does every school year.

"It's about fundraising and making a haunted house on halloween, or for hosting a halloween dance. We need to get in as much fundraising as we can." She shares as Harry speaks up from behind me.

"I'm not showing." He says as Tara turns to him and taps his nose with the tip of her finger. She ignores his sour expression as she taunts him.

"Then whatever we make fundraising will be split among those who participate and that amount will be put onto your bill." She says as I look into my locker.
I completely forgot that grad is going to cost us. I definitely need that job now.

"I mean I'm not showing at the grad ceremony." Harry shares making us all look at him as if he were crazy.

"Your mother will freak out." I remind him watching his sharp shrug. Like he has ever done anything his mother has said anyway.

"Harry, we've been friends since kindergarten. You are walking over that stage with me or so help me I wont name my first born Harry." She shares as Harry laughs.

"Good. Children are scary." He says grabbing my bag from my arm and putting it over his shoulder.
I notice Tara blink back at the gesture but fail to bring up anything that may make Harry hostile. I know she will freak out about it with me later.

I look at Liam who smiles down at Tara making her nod.

"We have something to share with you guys." She starts before holding Liam's hand tighter.

"We're having a baby." She exclaims quietly making sure nobody is looking.

"How long?" Harry asks dully to his best friend as I stay still. How are they happy? They arent even graduated yet.

"About 2 weeks." Liam shares smiling wrapping his arm around his girlfriend and mother of his child.

"But you guys arent even graduated." I state as Tara looks at me as if I have a problem with it.

"I expected that from Harry. Not from you." She says as I shake my head realizing how I offended her.

"Sorry, Tara. I didn't mean it like that. It just seems like we aren't as grown up as we seem. Soon we'll be at universities and raising babies." I speak as she nods understanding my statement.

"Not Harry. Harry's going to be an old bitter guy who never got hitched or had babies." Liam says as I look at Harry's hand. I could grab it but I don't want to risk the embarrassment of him pushing me off.

"We're together." He says as Tara's jaw drops. Surprising all of us by the sudden outburst of news.

"Wow. Like sleeping together or are you two fully together?" She asks looking very excited for the answer.

"We're fully together." I answer taking attention from Harry. I know this isn't a subject he wants to be talking about.

"We're growing up." Tara squeals as an announcement calls over the loud speakers.

"all potential graduates to room two-thirteen"

I shut my locker as our small group begins to walk down the hall. I just follow behind since I've never heard of room 213 before.

I watch as Tara and Liam link hands and talk about mindless things as we begin to get into the more crowded part of the school. I instantly remember it from when I first met Harry. This was where I first spilled coffee on him.

I want to say something but we're soon shuffling into a crowded room of kids all wanting to sit in the back of the empty classroom.

"Sit down!" The principal calls as Tara sits on top of a desk and Liam sits in the seat.

There are too many people for chairs so most end up standing by the wall while Harry clears two seats for us.

"We want to discuss the major ideas for the ceremony." The principal says before grabbing a marker and begins to write on the white board.

"Any colour suggestions?" He asks as Tara speaks up.

"Purple." She says as Harry scoffs.

"Mr. styles, is there a problem with that colour?" Another teacher asks as Harry nods.

"Sorry, Tara. But some girl here wants to wear bright ass blue and will look stupid in a purple room. Just go with black so we all match with it." He says as a few students laugh around him.

"Okay purple and black are suggestions." The principal says writing them down.

"What about visitors. How many seats do you need at every table?" He asks as kids begin to talk amongst themselves counting how many relatives they need seats for while kids with smaller families like me stay quiet.

"Fifteen." A kid says as the principal nods.

"Fifteen is where we cut it off. I don't want you guys to have to pick favourites, but you're going to have to pick favourites." He says as students laugh knowing exactly who isn't coming to their tables.

"Escorts. Do you guys want them?" A teacher asks as a kid from the back speaks up.

"Yes. I've got a girlfriend and I want everyone to know." He says making kids laugh. He must have a back story that I haven't been around long enough to hear.

"We'll see if it lasts that long." Liam teases as the kids laugh again.

"Fundraising. Do you guys want to hold a dance or a haunted house?" The principal asks as a few speak up giving different answers.

"There's enough of us here to do both. We could have a dance of a five dollar entry fee and we could make popcorn and sell punch and all of that. Then We could use the halls as the haunted house. I'm sure the drama department could help. We could make twice as much money." She says as teachers nod finding no problems with her suggestion.

Until Harry speaks up.

"What if you aren't going to the ceremony?" He asks as the principal gives a confused expression

"Are you moving?" He asks Harry as he shakes his head.

"Then you're going." He says making Harry roll his eyes.

"Niall, your mother has called and told us about you graduating back home so no worries about fundraising for you." He says as I furrow my eyebrows.

"I didn't know that" I share as the principal stops writing Tara's suggestion.

"But I am going to graduate here." I say despite my mothers wishes. I'm growing up. I can make my own decisions.

______

Word count : 1156