Awkward

Awkward

They had enjoyed the sky after the kiss.

Ally felt awkward writing the book with him now. Now that... They were maybe more than just friends.

"Want to get some ice cream and work at the treehouse?" Ally asked.

"Sure."

"Is it awkward?" Aaron asked. Ally slowly nodded.

What if Jay and CeCe ended up the same way as us? You know... potentiAlly more than friends?" Ally stuttered.

"I guess so." Aaron smiled.

"Are you ever going to get down from that tree?" Jay asked.

"No. The stars are alive today, and it's even prettier than on Earth." CeCe replied.

"Fine. I'm coming up then!"Jay hoisted himself up and sat next to CeCe on a branch. The shimmering purple, pink, blue stars floated around the cosmos.

"It's amazing." CeCe said.

"Yeah."

"I can't figure out a way to get them to feel more connected," Ally said, defeated.

"Let's take a break from writing for a day. We've got all year to finish it." Aaron suggested.

"Sure. I'm fried." Ally agreed.

"Do you believe in a Utopia?" Ally asked.

"No. All there is is reality, the world I've unfortunately lived in for thirteen years. A tough background just doesn't have time for make-up."

"And yet, you are reAlly good at writing Utopia with me. I believe. It's where I've disappeared to for so long." Ally answered. They were watching birds fly around through the window. She put her head on Aaron's shoulder. "I wish I wasn't so weird."

"You're not weird, you're you. I like that about you." Aaron reassured her.

"Thanks. You know, Aaron, we have to believe in a Utopia for the book to be created. A flourish of ideas. Anything, you know?" Ally said.

"When you come from a family like me, it's hard to believe in a better world." Aaron said, sighing.

"I'll help you, Aaron. It's not that hard to imagine."

"Nah, I'm not the idea person. All I do is add details. I can't imagine anything."

"I don't believe that."

"Ha."

"But you know, I don't know why we're calling this a Utopia. It isn't everything isn't reAlly perfect; it's just better than reality. It's not the most ideal place."

"I agree. Let's just call the book The Life Of CeCe Maddins."

"Okay."

Aaron laid on his bed, clicking his iPhone on. Four text messages were on his screen from Ally.

Hi.

Can we meet at my treehouse?

Anytime?

Today?

Sure, he texted back. After a minute, Ally replied.

Ten minutes?

Yeah.

Aaron got up to get ready. He brushed his teeth and used some hair gel to create tiny spikes on the top of his head. He wore some unripped jeans and and a clean white shirt.

"Aunt Marcie? I'm going to Ally's!!" He yelled, tying on his sneakers.

"Again?" Aunt Marcie came into the doorway, holding a plate of cookies. "Is there a reason you spend so much time with her?"

"No."

"Okay, but take some cookies for you guys, okay?" Aunt Marcie handed him a couple napkins with four cookies on it.

"Thanks, Aunt Marcie." Aaron opened the door and walked out, and hopped on his bike, putting the cookies in the pouch hooked to the bike.

"Hey," Ally said. She had her journal, and she was back on the roof. Aaron climbed up and handed her two cookies.

"Snickerdoodle from my aunt," He said, taking a bite out of his own cookies.

"Thanks."

They sat in silence for a while. Neither of them couldn't think of anything to add to the story. This lasted for an hour of trying to figure something out. Then Aaron got a text.

Jakey, I need you for dinner, okay?

-Aunt Marcie.

"I have to go for dinner." Aaron said, sighing.

"That's okay. Call me later, okay?" Ally said, swinging back into the treehouse.

"Okay." Aaron followed Ally out of the treehouse and they parted ways.

"Aaron?" Ally called Aaron.

"Yeah?"

"I... Burned the journal."

"WHAT?"

"It's all wrong. I made it seem like a fairytale when it isn't. I have to start over. I have to."

"Okay."

"I'm sorry."

"I'll see you tomorrow and we can start over. Alright?"

"Yes."

"Bye."

"Bye."