The Decision

The Decision

"Hello," Ally grabbed the phone when Aaron's face froze. "I'm Ally Gunderman, one co-author of the book we'd like to send over to you."

"I see. May I arrange a more in depth interview? I'd like to get to know clients, and it's rather hard to do so over a call," the publisher, named Krista, said, her voice rich and lovely.

"Oh, um, of course! Does... Next Saturday at 2 work for you?" Ally asked, eyes wide.

"Oh, perfect. I will see you at my office at 2. I presume you know where it is?"

"Definitely, thank you so much." The line beeped and Ally laid down the phone.

"Ready? Next Saturday at 2."

"Yes," Aaron said quickly, laying ten dollars on the table and grabbing Ally's hand. "Let's go back to the treehouse."

Ally dressed in her nicest dress and knocked on Aaron's home. His aunt answered the door and greeted her warmly.

"Come in, come in! Have you had lunch?" Ally smiled and shook her head. They had agreed she would come over at 12 for lunch and they would leave for the publisher's office at 1:30.

Aaron was in a nice shirt and had new jeans on, unripped. The home was humble and a small two-story, with taupe colored walls and wooden flooring. Ally was led into the kitchen where the aroma drowned out all other senses. His aunt was a great cook with what she had. Pulled pork on toasted hot dog buns, and a salad with nuts and a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.

"It smells great." Ally smiled, suddenly aware of her red scars.

"Are you Aaron's girlfriend?" Ally laughed while Aaron blushed.

"I am," Ally replied confidently.

"Well, that's great. And I can't believe you guys are publishing a book!"

A steaming plate was placed in front of her. Two hot dog buns with the reddish meat, and half the plate with salad. Ally gave a thanks and started digging in. Aaron are quickly, checking the wall clock.

"We have time, Aaron. What are you waiting for?" His aunt asked.

"The new episode of Iron Chef is in thirty minutes. I gotta watch it."

Ally laughed. "You watch that show? I didn't know you were into cooking."

"Well, it's sort of fun to watch, I guess," Aaron blushed again, meat in his mouth. Ally smiled and when they finished, they went down to watch Iron Chef together.

Michael Symon had won that match. Soon it was time to leave and Aaron's aunt ushered them into an old car that smelled like cherries and the car spluttered before turning on. Ally gritted her teeth when the car started moving, for it sounded awful, like it would fall apart any second.

"We ain't gonna waste a perfectly okay car," Aaron's aunt said, "We have to deal with it until I get enough money to buy the car and pay off the house."

Ally smiled, knowing how money seemed tough all the time. Billy always wanted a toy that was expensive and Ally's mother was lucky to have a good job in dentistry that made her able to support herself and her kids. Still, Ceily felt bad asking for things that were unneeded, such as Starbucks drinks and food from fast food restaurants.

In twenty five minutes, Aaron's aunt pulled the car in front of the office of the renowned publisher. Ally opened the door and silently. The two walked inside. The secretary greeted them, and pointed them to the hallway where they would see her name plaque.

They looked at each other, and hand in hand, they walked down the hallway.