Two weeks of silence

A week passed. Ally didn't move from her hospital bed. She was visited by Aaron every Tuesday and Thursday.

"Hey, Ally," he said, in an attempt to wake her up. "It's Aaron. I think you're doing better today. There's more color in your face. Are you doing better?"

But she didn't stir, even after a full thirty minutes of Aaron filling her in about the world. He left, a single rose laid on her bed.

Then on the second week, Ally's hand moved. The nurse by her side gasped, and then felt her forehead. It was very hot, a burning sensation. She grabbed a bag of ice and kept it on Ally's sweaty head, and Ally coughed. The nurse grabbed her hand.

"Dear, can you hear me? Doc! Doc!"

But she was still and sound once more. What was going on in her head?

Dreams in Ally's head during the time of the awakening

Ally moved around the cafeteria, her hands empty. The bustling kids pushed her, and she struggled to escape. She knew nothing about them. She saw faces, hands, shirts, hair, but recognized none of them.

She saw copper hair on a pretty young girl walking in front of her. Her red lips puckered as she applied yet another coat. Ally couldn't place whose it was.

Ally saw a dark hair color, and electrifying blue eyes staring at her, a boy with black jeans and a gray T-shirt. Who was it? She looked away, lost in the unknown people around her. She didn't know where she was, who all of these people were, and why she was here...

"Honey!" Mrs. Gunderman proclaimed as Ally's eyes fluttered on the white hospital bed. She looked so pale.

Mrs. Gunderman asked for a call to be sent to Aaron. Ally's shocking green eyes looked around, taking in the white room, the nurses and doctors, and the other people around her, taking notes, checking the heart monitor.

Aaron rushed in, his cheeks flushed. He matched eyes with Ally.

"Honey?" Her mother touched her hand. "Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

"Great!"

"Why are you calling me 'honey?'" Ally said in a tremulous voice. "Do you know me?"