A New Way

A New Way

There was no saving the girl because she wasn't able to be saved. She was alone when she wasn't saved. And she lived with scars inside and outside.

Ally set her pen down and crumpled the paper, and tossed it in the trash can on the way out of her language arts class. Her arms burned with pain and she knew the skin grafts wouldn't be ready for her for a long time, after she had gotten used to her new self.

Aaron digged through the trash to find the crumpled ball of paper Ally had thrown away. He read the sheet and looked up, watching her disappear. She was writing sad stories, much more mature than the girl who'd written about a Utopia months earlier.

He made a resolution to collect all of her new scraps of writing and assess her condition, because obviously she was not alright. She was writing about herself.

The hallways seemed like a maze and the maze a world, bustling with no end. Nowhere for her to hide herself. She listened to music to escape, and writing to leave. But nothing saved herself from the fact that she was alone in the world.

What was she to do? Everyone acted as if she was normal, just another girl. But she knew they thought something else.

"Hon!" Ally turned. A girl with shiny copper hair and waxy red lips cat walked over. "Ally! I've missed you!"

"Who are you?" The girl laughed.

"Penny, of course! Listen, are you still dating that hunk, Jakey?"

"Aaron?"

"Yeah! I so knew that!"

"Um, I don't know."

"So he's available?"

"Sure?"

"Thanks, hon." Penny's smile evaporated into a sneer and she left the scene.

Surprised and confused, Ally walked away.