The Trick

The Trick

Ding.

Ally opened the front door. A mailman handed her a bunch of beautiful red roses.

She inhaled their delightful scent. "Ohhhhh!" She stroked the petals and opened the small, gold monogrammed note.

Ally, the note started in small, loopy print: Meet me at my house's backyard tomorrow at seven pm. -Aaron.

Ally smiled giddily. Flowers? It must have been a fortune for these huge blooming masses, enveloped in lace and satin ribbons, and delivered personAlly!

She sat the flowers on her desk and dreamily looked at them. Tomorrow would be so nice.

Aaron was called by his aunt. He frustratingly disconnected from his game. "WHAT?"

"There's a girl here to see you!" His aunt called. Aaron shot up and combed through his hair with his fingers. Ally must have come without telling him. He made his way downstairs, saying, "Hey."

A girl who was not Ally smiled at him. A girl with penny copper hair and red lips.

"Penny," Aaron snarled, his face contorting into a frown.

"Hun..." Penny started. "I came to talk. Your aunt is so nice! She said that we could go to your room and chitchat." Aaron looked over at his aunt, who sternly smiled at Aaron.

"Fine," he mumbled, glancing at the clock. 6:55. It would take forever to get Penny out of here.

Aaron trudged in front of the overdressed girl and led her to his room. Penny sat on the bed and patted the seat next to her.

"Oh my," Penny said, looking around. "Too dark!" She opened the curtains. "Fresh air is good for you, Aaron." Then Penney opened up the window, and sat back down next to Aaron.

"What is it?" Aaron asked, shuffling his feet.

"Honestly, Aaron, I like you. And I'm the first girl that you led to your bedroom, right?"

"Yeah but-"

"That's what I thought." Penny smiled, glancing out the window.

"You need to leave," Aaron said. Penny was staring down at the window. Her target was looking up.

"Let me give you a tiny kiss before I go, though!" Penny whined.

"N-" But Penny didn't wait for an answer. She pressed her overly glossed lips onto Aaron's and then left abruptly, smiling crazily.

Ally headed over to Aaron's house and sneaker into the backyard. Aaron's window was open. She grinned and leaned down to throw a rock into the room, but she froze when she heard voices.

"Honestly, Aaron, I like you. And I'm the first girl that you led to your bedroom, right?" a honey sweet voice cooed.

"Yeah, but-"

"That's what I thought."

Ally stepped back to see into the bedroom. Penny's gleaming hair shone. Ally's arms started shaking.

"You need to leave," Aaron's voice said. Ally fell to the ground and looked into the room.

"Let me give you a tiny kiss before I go, through!" Penny's voice trilled. Ally gasped and tears streamed down her face as she saw Penny's full lips touch Aaron's own.

Ally snapped. She pushed herself off of the ground and ran out of the yard and onto her bike, riding home while sobbing.