Reading the book

Reading the book

Ally endured thirty minutes of physical therapy—mostly stretching and trying to keep her limbs, well, limber.

She grasped the book from Lenny in her scarred, red hand. Aaron had left it lying on the floor. She opened it and she saw two different hand writings, one round and bubbly, the other sharp and scrawled.

The war makers tore Jay away from Cece, saying that she was evil, and she ran away, her eyes wide and terrified.

Ally could not stop reading. Half of the big notebook was filled out. When she reached the end, she smiled, then stopped, hoping no one had saw her.

"Hey," Cara stuck her head in, Ally's dinner in her hands. "Just wanted to tell you that boy didn't come today."

"Thank God."

"You know, he reAlly loves you. I think he was devastated when you had your injury, and was reAlly hurt when you told him off yesterday."

"Well, he shouldn't dwell on who I was before."

"Maybe you should apologize, offer to keep writing the story with him," Cara handed Alley a spoon for her chili and then crushed saltines onto the steaming bowl.

"I'll think about it." Ally smiled and waved to Cara, who left the room, and turned on the TV to watch Dance Moms.

After she had eaten her dinner, Ms. Gunderman walked in with Billy. He hadn't seen her with the ointments and creams and gross liquids covering her skin.

"Aah!" He shrieked, covering his eyes. Ally frowned and stuck the journal over her burned hair and blistering hands.

"Billy!" Ms. Gunderman chastised her son. "I'm sorry, honey. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, mom." Ally winced inside, feeling too insincere to a woman who was even more devastated than Aaron. "Look, I'm reAlly sorry about this op whole thing. My memory has been coming back partiAlly, just not enough to remember much. I only remember life at home and stuff, but it's getting better, don't worry."

"I'm so glad. Look, I had work all day and visiting hours are over, but I'll come this weekend, I promise."

Ally's mother kissed her daughter and led Billy out of the room.