The Search for Ally

The Search for Ally

Ally lied.She told the office that she had an appointment, and left school, skipping social studies and PE.

She didn't know where to go. Just away from Aaron, away from Penny, away from everything. She ended up crying in her treehouse, shutting the windows all the way closed and then lighting a candle. She looked at the single flame and soon became drowsy. She liked the candle. Almost a companion, dancing for her amusement. It melted and she thought of a Penny's waxy, red stained lips and shuddered, tears threatening to spill out once more.

Ally fell asleep, letting the candle dance and flicker in the darkness.

The candle melted to an inch from its base, still flickering. Still dancing as Ally slept.

"Yes?" Aaron said groggily. It was two am, and he had waken up to the tone of his phone.

"Is this Aaron?" A man said.

"Yes," He replied.

"Your friend, a Ms. Gunderman is in the hospital with severe burns. She asked for you. Will you come to the hospital of 5th Avenue? Or should we pick you up?"

Aaron snapped awake. His phone clattered to the ground, and he scrambled to clutch it once more. "Pick me up at 784 St. Mary Drive," He said, then hung up.

Aaron clutched his head and heaved racking sobs that stuck in his throat. He got up and threw on sweatpants and a shirt and brushed his hair, then left a note for his aunt on his pillow.

Going to hospital, Ally has burns

And then the ambulance was there. He shuffled into the back and asked the driver, "Is she okay?"

"I dunno, son. She in a coma from the trauma, what they told' me. I think second degree burns on legs, third on her arms. She fell and broke hers right leg and fractured her rib. Some a 'er hair burned off, and she ain't gonna wake up any time soon. She jus keep callin your name, that only way we know she livin or naw."

His heart pounded. She couldn't be that bad. What the heck had she done to get burned everywhere?

When Aaron got to the hospital, he ran straight to her room and saw Ally's mother clutching her daughter's hand.

His heart stopped when he saw Ally. Asleep, her hair frizzed and signed with flames, the licks of burns lingering in her arms. Her body was obscured by blankets. She had a tube of some drug running through her hand.

Her mother stood up and hugged Aaron. "You Aaron?"

"Yes."

"Well. Ally mentioned you as a friend. But you ain't family, and I think we need to be one right now."

"Can you at least tell me what happened?"

"It was past midnight. I knew she was up in her tree. She lit a candle. Fell asleep. Fell from the tree, out of the trap door. Burns everywhere. I heard the screams then called the ER. You get some sleep, honey. I'm sorry bout it, but nothing we can do now."

He gave his well wishes and let the driver drive him back home.